Review by Personalanama -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Personalanama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-personalanama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by Personalanama -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Personalanama »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy novel; the beginning of a nine-book series. The story is set in a country called Voulhire. We start as a young man, Galen Bray, recounts his journey from the Land of the Princes to Voulhire. As he joins this foreign land and begins exploring and getting acquainted with its ways, so do we.

The author alternates between characters as he narrates. King Wilhelm of Voulhire is a man under a lot of pressure. He has to deal with the evil mage Meldorath, who seeks total control over the magical world, Caromentis, and the physical world, Cosmos. The mystery surrounding Meldorath's powers, his existence, and his sinister plans kept me at my seat's edge throughout the read.

The author's style of writing made sure that we could watch the unfolding events from different perspectives, something I enjoyed. I loved how believable the characters in the books were. Even the fantastical, magical world feels well-developed, with a build-up to even more discoveries in the sequels. This was another aspect I loved. Most fantasy books go overboard with the imagination to the exclusion of creating relatable content.

As the book is an introduction to the series, I felt like its pacing was okay. Its sluggish plot progression is because most of it introduces the characters, thereby creating a foundation for their appearance later in the story. Up to around halfway through the book, did I feel the pace of the plot start picking up. This, however, did not surprise me since the author's note warned us to expect it due to its role in setting up the basis for the series.

For these reasons, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I found no errors and the formatting was exceptional. This book is suitable for people who love long series. Readers who want to read it as a stand-alone story will be sorely disappointed because it was created to introduce us to Voulhire and its people. I recommend the book to fantasy and mystery lovers above eighteen years because of the profanities present in the book.

I leave you with this introductory quote from the book:
"In this special kingdom, where all the tools are provided to build a perfect world, you will stand as a first-hand witness to what people do when they have no excuse to fail.
This, my children, is the magnificent and terrifying kingdom of Voulhire!"
We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jojobiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojobiz.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jojobiz »

The quote summarises the book perfectly. Great job :)
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thanks for the amazing reiew, really
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”