Official Review: Journeyman by Robert M Leonard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Journeyman by Robert M Leonard

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journeyman" by Robert M Leonard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Instead of leading companies to glorious battles, earning combat bonuses and collecting loot and spoils, he’d been reduced to commanding paltry caravan guard contingents to protect some fat merchant’s person.” The above quote was Kileean’s story just before he was relieved of his duties following the peace that had developed throughout the twelve nations.

The peace between the nations had become the bane for members of the Brotherhood of Freeswords, and Kileean was no different. Members of this brotherhood made money when they were contracted to fight during wars or anything that had to do with violence trafficking. However, while in an inn at Coalton Gap, contemplating returning to the home of his youth, which he was so eager to leave, he is offered a job. He is required to lead Anatha safely to her family in Dvorathia. In Journeyman by Robert M. Leonard, we follow the adventures of Kileean and Anatha from Coalton Gap to Dvorathia.

After completing the book, I found nothing to dislike about it. As a result, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. I liked many things about this novel. Firstly, the story was unique, and the slow-paced start of the novel allowed for a better understanding of each character. Also, the start of the book was consistent with the storyline. I mean, you don’t expect a lot of action when there is no conflict. Secondly, I was pleased to see that the author employed a lot of consistency with each character’s dialect when they engaged in dialogue. As a result, I was able to tell who was speaking at every point throughout the book.

It was pleasing to see the vintage units that the author employed in describing time or measure. For example, in the book, time is judged by the position of Siliace in the daytime sky or the “Three Sisters” during the night. Siliace is the god of light and fire. Also, It goes with saying that Leonard explicitly described each scene sufficiently. My favorite scene was when Anatha showed sheer brilliance to save the journeyman in the presence of three gods. Even the gods themselves were in awe of the feat she achieved. That scene alone was enough to earn Anatha a place in my heart as my favorite character. The fact that she was only fifteen makes me wonder what she would be able to achieve as she grows older.

Additionally, the information provided after the epilogue was very helpful in understanding a lot about the twelve nations. However, I think all that information should have come at the beginning of the novel. In all, this novel was well-written, and the minimal number of errors throughout the text ensured that I had a consistent reading stream. As a result, I can say that the novel has been professionally edited. I recommend Journeyman to people that are interested in mission fiction stories.

Journeyman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A unique plot with characters that are well developed even through their speech pattern seems really interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I like the idea of telling time by the positions of heavenly bodies in the daytime or nighttime sky. Absolutely vintage! Thank you for the comprehensive review and recommendation.
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

Sounds like a book with great characterization! It's interesting how you pointed out that the slow-paced beginning of the book helped in readers getting to understand the characters more. Lovely review.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a complex fantasy that I would enjoy reading! Thanks for your thorough review.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

This is a kind of book I enjoy reading. I can't wait to read about the adventures of Kileean and Anatha, I'm definitely adding it to my shelf.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like something I’d absolutely love to read bearing in mind the consistency of the character development and story as a whole. Awesome. Thanks for a good review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”