Review by Krista Ash -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Drop the Bad! by Sofia Santiago, PhD; Virginia Wells, PhD; Daniela De la Chica

Review by Krista Ash -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Krista Ash »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, Galen Bray is rescued from his war-impoverished life by his long-lost great-uncle and immigrates to Voulhire. By the time Galen arrives in this new country, his uncle has died but left Galen a sizable inheritance, including a forge. Galen must learn to make his own place in Voulhire with the help of friends he meets. Unlike Galen, however, recently-appointed Lord Eldus knows Voulhire is not as prosperous as it seems. As Eldus tries to bring prosperity to the small town of Hillport, the town’s past seems determined to take him down. Will Eldus be able to establish Hillport’s place as a great city of Voulhire, or will the entire nation crumble before Galen has a chance to learn about his new country?

This book does an excellent job of writing from multiple characters’ point of view. Each main character of the book reveals a different aspect of Voulhire. Chapters from King Wilhelm’s perspective show the politics. Galen shows what Voulhire is like to a newcomer. Eldus sees how Voulhire’s prosperity can be spread to smaller towns. Together, the viewpoints add greatly to the reader’s understanding of the world. The book is the first in the series, so it spends a significant amount of time world-building and introducing the reader to the cast of characters. Even though the book is setting the stage, it was still a very interesting read, although the plot was not resolved as cleanly as some might hope for.

The only thing I disliked about the book was Galen’s place as the main character of the series. Galen is an incredibly kind and generous person, but he has no faults that make him realistic. Galen has survived years on a war-torn island; however, it appears as if his time on the island did not affect him. Galen is grateful for his escape from the island, but he does not have any of the survivalist instincts or suspicion I would have expected based on his background. This book is the first of the series, though, so Galen’s character will likely be more developed in later books.

The other characters in the book were well-written. Aside from Galen, each character was given positive and negative traits, which increased their believability and made their personalities enjoyable. What I enjoyed most about the book was that the antagonists were given backstories with which the reader could sympathize, which further developed the antagonists.

The book had an excellent plot, but Galen, the main character, was rather one-dimensional. The book also had some typos and punctuation errors. For these reasons, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to adults who enjoy fantasy. The book does have a small amount of strong language and sexual references, so I would not recommend it for young readers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Great review, I like how your writing flows.
I too, can relate to how you were able to understand the characters, and realize that you were seeing Voulhire through their eyes.
I guess by now you're on the second book, and I hope you've seen more development on Galen's character.
Live and let live, baby.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Drop the Bad! by Sofia Santiago, PhD; Virginia Wells, PhD; Daniela De la Chica

Post by Krista Ash »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: ↑08 Oct 2020, 15:58 Great review, I like how your writing flows.
I too, can relate to how you were able to understand the characters, and realize that you were seeing Voulhire through their eyes.
I guess by now you're on the second book, and I hope you've seen more development on Galen's character.
Thank you! I'm just starting book 2. I haven't reached a chapter from Galen's perspective, but I'm looking forward to seeing his development.
Viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by Viczboy16 »

I love the adventures Galen faced in this book starting from his depature from the war thorn land of the princes to the city of Magnum Caeli in Voulhire. I enjoyed the review.
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:

Post by Krista Ash »

Viczboy16 wrote: ↑09 Oct 2020, 17:20 I love the adventures Galen faced in this book starting from his depature from the war thorn land of the princes to the city of Magnum Caeli in Voulhire. I enjoyed the review.
Thank you! Galen did go through quite a bit in this first book. I look forward to reading more about him in the rest of the series.
Viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by Viczboy16 »

Krista Ash wrote: ↑12 Oct 2020, 07:14
Viczboy16 wrote: ↑09 Oct 2020, 17:20 I love the adventures Galen faced in this book starting from his depature from the war thorn land of the princes to the city of Magnum Caeli in Voulhire. I enjoyed the review.
Thank you! Galen did go through quite a bit in this first book. I look forward to reading more about him in the rest of the series.
You'll enjoy his scenes in the series and he might just turn out to be your favorite just as he became my favourite character.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Meeting Mozart by Howard Jay Smith

Post by Ellylion »

I agree, Galen seems to be to naive to be true, but the other sides of him revealed in the next books :) Thanks for a great review!
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

I share some of your feelings about Galen's character. I felt it was too weak and unrealistic. Although there is a marked improvement in his character as the series move on.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”