Review by Nhitra -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by Nhitra -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Nhitra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy book set in the magical kingdom of Voulhire. This is the first in the nine books saga “We are Voulhire” by Matthew Tysz.

The story begins with the main protagonist, Galen Bray, who grew up in war-torn Prince's Island. He was set to inherit his great uncle’s business, a famous blacksmith. So he set sail onto Magnum Caelum, where he will learn the trade and eventually took over. Upon arriving at this town, he is astonished by the comfort of Magnum Cealum compared to his town, and with new friends, he will start this new chapter in his life.

Most of the first book will explore the history and setting of this book to establish the background for the rest of the saga. Voulhire is a magical kingdom filled with magic, trade, art, philosophy, all ruled by King Wilhelm. We also learn about another kingdom that is ruled by a wicked kind who separates his four sons so they could not conspire against him. These princes rage wars against each other, which last for more than 20 years. This is the kingdom that Galen is originally from.

The author did a fantastic job of setting the premise for the next book. I love that he had created a complex plot but, at the same time, kept it fresh and easy to follow. He did it by introducing new places, characters, and history one at a time, and he did it at a good pace. He was able to keep the suspense throughout the book. I found this book to be a real page-turner.

One thing that bugs me in this book is how there is no definite point in time. The house and setting create a feeling of an older time but the description of some character feels futuristic somehow. Surely, Voucher is not set on Earth so I can understand why the author did not pinpoint a time but it does give me some trouble imagining while I was reading.

The book is very well-edited and I didn't find any mistakes. I rate this book a 4 out of 4. The plot is super interesting and I can't wait to read the next book. I recommend this book for people who enjoy the fantasy genre, if you like “Lord of the Ring” you will definitely like this one.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”