Review by SweetEchoJenn -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetEchoJenn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetechojenn.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Review by SweetEchoJenn -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by SweetEchoJenn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The mighty kingdom of Voulhire embodies prosperity and magic within religion, politics, and military. An innocent and humble, Galen Bray grew up in war. “In the Lands of the Princes where it was death by the sword, or a slow starvation” describes his circumstances well. At his estranged uncle’s invitation, Galen arrives by ship to this strange land. He learns his uncle died and left him an inheritance. Galen begins his new adventure working as a Blacksmith of his new business, “Onita Steel”. A corrupt and powerful mage, Lord Meldorath betrayed King Wilhelm and his people. He was exiled to an island off the shore of Voulhire with many ships guarding him. There, in his prison, he deviously plots his escape. Waiting to strike, is the Riva Rohavi, a rebellion dancing their way through carnage and devoted to the destruction of Voulhire. King Wilhelm hopes to gather the army that he so desperately needs to defeat his adversaries. Multiple realms are another fundamental detail in this story. The spirit and magical planes exist and have an effect on the mortal realm. Thus far, they remain a mystery.

I liked how easy it was to understand each perspective in We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz. I appreciated the map of Voulhire at the beginning of the book as well as the glossary at the end. Both of those assisted in understanding the story more effectively. I adored Galen’s awe and excitement in his desire to learn. It was a positive when war looms around the nation.

Matthew Tysz’s creative writing style flows seamlessly from Galen’s first-person point of view to the third-person of the other characters. It enhances the story very well. I did not find any errors in this book. There are a few profane words. The story seems to be professionally edited. There is not anything that I disliked about this book.

I rate this book four out of four stars because the creative story line draws the reader in and holds them enraptured until the end. The personalities were well-developed and relatable. One of my favourite lines “But the only thing I was forging at the moment was irony, as I hadn’t a clue where to begin.” I definitely admire the play on words.

This is the first book of the We Are Voulhire series. As a science fiction novel, I recommend it to sci-fi fans. I encourage those who enjoy the fantasy and mystery genres to read it as well. I would not recommend this book to children because of the vulgar words and some violence. I have not found in any other novel or series where the rebellion actually dance while fighting. Unique.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Waking Dead by Jay Glendell
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read the book, I agree with your analysis and rating. Good job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”