Review by Fahad Baibras -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fahad Baibras
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Fahad Baibras -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by Fahad Baibras »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen lives in the war-torn Land of Princes. Life is miserable, and survival is the utmost priority. At a time when there is no hope left, he receives a letter that gives him an array of hope for a new life. That letter is from his uncle, whom he has never met. His uncle lives in the prosperous land of Voulhire. Voulhire is a strange place where people are unaware of the worries of death. In Voulhire, you have no excuse to fail, and residents of that country live their lives to the fullest. Gary's uncle is a successful blacksmith. On his death bed, he wishes to see the last of his living family member. He wants to hand over the business to his nephew as a payback for his betrayal to the family. Galen is equally excited to meet his long lost relative. When he reaches Magnum Caelum, a small town in Voulhire, he receives the sad news of the death of his uncle. His uncle has left a handsome amount to help him carry on his business. Gary feels obliged to make his business successful and not let his dying wish to go to waste. He has his uncles' executor named Rowan with him, who wants to help him be successful in the business. Far from Magnum Caelum, in the capital Soulhire, King Wilhelm is facing a situation worse than the never-ending plots and politics of the Mianoran Council. The reason for his worries is a small town in the south, named Hillport. The people of Hillport are afraid because of a monster in human clothes. Unfortunately, that monster was the best friend of King Wilhelm. He has officially been declared dead, but people are suspicious of this lie. He has appointed one of his capable judges, Lord Eldus, as the new lord of Hillport. Lord Eldus has the responsibility to bring prosperity to the small town, and more importantly, to wipe the fear of that monster out of the mind of people. In the far north, from behind the curtain of ashes, a beast has woken up from its deep slumber to lay wrath upon the unsuspecting Voulhirians.

Matthew Tysz is the author of this book. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first of the ten books in the series. The engaging style of writing ensures that if you have read one book in the series, you would wish to read the next one. Matthew has created this fantasy world with a dedication that is expressed by every word of this book. In the beginning, there is a map of Voulhire that explains the geography of the country. Then the writer goes on to introduce every character in the book in a separate chapter.

Voulhire is a place where steam engines are rare, but mages and monks are common. There are bio mages who have the power to deform the human body and cause severe disorders. There is a realm known as Caromentis, where physics has failed to prove its authenticity. The realm of Cosmos is the physical world. The Caromentis is the source of the dark power of mages. But there are people in Cosmos who have mastered the knowledge of physics, and they are more powerful than a handful of mages together.

The author has a firm grip over the flow of the story. The author has created the characters and the world with a strong history and culture, so everything from mages to physicists moving at lightspeed makes sense. I wanted to say that the story is slow-paced, but it is not. For the first installment of a series, the story was action-packed, fast, and unpredictable. Trying to encapsulate the beauty and strength of the storyline would not be possible in a few lines.

I am definitely going to read the next part. The book had me emotionally invested in the characters so much that the tragic ending of the book broke my heart, and now I really want to know what happened next. I didn't find any instance of vulgarity or profanity in the book.

I did not find even a single typo in the book. The printing and editing of the book are professional and pretty good. I have no choice but to give the book four out of four stars because of all the reasons mentioned above. I would recommend this book to every fan of action, fantasy, and science fiction.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”