Review by Kate Park -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by Kate Park -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Kate Park »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voulhire is a fantasy world, full of magic, kings, and betrayals. Out of all the fantasy books that I have read, We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is one of the best. Once you open this book, putting it down will become a challenge. Soon, you will find yourself sucked into a world where ships float in the air, mysterious rocks show up from other universes, and wide-eyed characters find themselves thrust into a whole new life.

This book starts with Galen, who has lived his entire life in the Land of the Princes. This country is at war and the people of this land are suffering. When his uncle, who lives in the land of Voulhire, is sick, he asks that Gavin be brought to his land to work his forge and be his heir. Galen, ignorant of the world outside of the Land of Princes, finds himself in the small town of Magnum Caelum. He soon sets off on a series of adventures with his new-found friend, Rowan. Not far away, another city is struggling. Hillport, a town that is just recovering from a series of tragedies, finds itself with its own set of problems, that later become much more burdensome than predicted.

Matthew Tysz is the author of We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. It is the first in a series of nine books. This first book acts as almost a prologue, or introduction, to the rest of the series. We learn about the characters, about the land of Voulhire, and about the looming evil that threatens the land. This book was very well-written and remarkably edited. It hopped back and forth between characters and different parts of the plot, keeping you on your toes and interested. Not only was it easy to read, but it was also exciting.

One of my favorite parts of this book is the story of Hillport. Hillport is a town situated on the coast that has recently been victim to a series of unfortunate predicaments. The inhabitants, still hurt from these incidents, try to heal under the reign of a new lord named Eldus. Little does Eldus know what a momentous responsibility he has undertaken. As the book progresses, so do Hillport’s problems.

I do not think there was anything in this book that I can truly say that I disliked. It was that astounding. However, one thing that I am excited to see more of in the next books is Galen. Although Galen took the spotlight for the beginning of the book, he later was mentioned less and less. I found myself anxiously waiting until the plot turned back to Galen. However, I do not believe that this took away from the book. It simply added to the suspense of the story.

To conclude, I would give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing about this book that would make me want to give it a lower score. The characters were packed with the potential for lots of character growth throughout the series. There were other worlds, magic, and devious villains.

This book was a true classic fantasy book that was extremely well-written. I would absolutely recommend it to you. If you are a lover of fantasy, I would almost pay you to read this book because it was that good. It was funny, serious, exciting, and scary, all in only around 200 pages. However, this book does contain some profanity, a sprinkle of sexual jokes that will not offend, and a scene that has a decent amount of violence. I hope that you take my advice and give this enchanting story a try because I doubt that you will regret picking this book up. I am biding my time until I can read the next book in this series. In the end, I cannot say enough good things about We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Bravo! You wrote a really interesting and captivating review. If I hadn't read this book, I'd definitely be tempted to read now. I like how you expressed your ideas and your pleasure in this book. It is indeed a great story.
Live and let live, baby.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”