Review by AlphasFemale -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AlphasFemale
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by AlphasFemale -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by AlphasFemale »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in what is to be a nine book series. Those interested in this boo should be aware of that fact and ready to commit to a longer series. At the current time six out of the nine novels are already completed and only the last one exceeds three hundred pages. This means while none of the books are exceptionally long readers will have a fair amount of material to get through before having to wait on a new release.

Galen has lived in the Lands of the Prince’s his entire life. These lands are so named because years ago an Emperor gave each one of his four sons a group of islands to rule as they each had equal claim to his throne. Sadly instead of uniting the princes locked into a Civil War among themselves lasting for many years and making life for most of those living on their islands extremely difficult. So with nothing to lose when his uncle’s executor reaches out to him from across the sea Galen sails to the lands of Voulhire without a second thought.

Compared to the Lands of the Prince’s, Voulhire is believed to be a peaceful land. This difference causes quite the culture shock for Galen who has no one to guide him in this new land. No one that is other than his uncle’s executor who is quite possibly taking advantage of the naïve Galen. In Magnum Caelum, a peaceful town of Voulhire Galen finds his new home is the local blacksmith shop. Galen is determined to learn his uncle’s trade and do Magnum Caelum and all of Voulhire proud. What he doesn't know is that Voulhire is not a peaceful as he believes and miles away war and danger are brewing.

The opening of this book is wonderful as the background into the Land of the Prince’s sounds like someone telling a classic fable, it just has an amazing tone that is hard to describe. Considering that this is only the first book it created a unique world with in-depth characters. Each person has a distinct personality and motives of their own. At the same time each city has its own features giving it a life of their own as well. There is a great amount of promise in this book for the future of the series. I was sorry however to see some the characters that I was introduced to in reading this book leave the scene so early. I also found myself often confused and needing to double-check some names for fear that I misread something. That is a problems that can frequently arise when there are multiple stories going all at once and the blame for this can not be completely laid on the author.

Seeing as how this is part of a much larger series and carries multiple interwoven stories I highly recommend this book for older and more dedicated readers. Perspective readers also need to be able to handle slightly confusing plot lines and hints at sexual content, although the language is mostly mild. I rate this book 4 out of 4 and have to say that it is exceptionally well edited. This story appears to be the product of a well established, yet possibly ambitious author. As an introductory novel it dose a wonderful job of creating a compelling setting that readers will want to stay in for hours, even days at a time.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”