Review by PriyankaBeeput -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PriyankaBeeput
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankabeeput.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by PriyankaBeeput -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by PriyankaBeeput »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fantasy/adventure novel by Matthew Tysz. It is the author’s first installment in the “We are Voulhire” series and Tysz wastes no time in throwing the reader straight into the carefully crafted his world.

I must begin this review by acknowledging one of the book’s greatest strengths, its ability to immerse the reader within the world without fatiguing said reader with large amounts of expository prose. The first way Tysz was able to manage this feat was through his prologue; an intense action scene that introduces the reader to the magic and politics of the world and sets a strong foundation for the novel’s plot to build upon. The next way the author showcases the world to the reader is through one of its protagonists, Galen Bray. Originally from the Lands of the Princes--three lands ruled by three princes that have been devastated by war--Galen is given his ticket to freedom in the form of a literal ticket to Voulhire by a deceased relative, who he never knew existed until his death. Galen inherits his late uncle’s forge at Magnum Caelum, and he is determined to prove himself a worthy benefactor. Galen being an outsider in this world allows for the author to teach the reader about Voulhire’s politics and culture through Galen. Galen’s story is one of adventure and will provide many thrills, especially as it begins to integrate with the other narratives of the story.

Our other narrative is divided between two narrating characters, Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire and Lord Alderman, the newly appointed Lord of Hillport. It is through these characters that we explore the main conflict of the story, Meldorath and the Riva Rohavi. Both these characters try to navigate the turbulence of politics, war and other more sinister things. Reading Lord Alderman’s chapters were my favourite, aside from him being a good and just character that is easy to root for, it is through his chapters that Tysz writes a masterclass in creating suspense.

The novel’s next triumph in literary excellence comes through in its characters. In a book such as this with heavy emphasis on world building and plot, it is easy for the characters of the novel to come across as flat or one dimensional, but Tysz is able to overcome this hurdle. While I would not consider any of the protagonists in Tysz’s novel as morally grey, like those of the ones George R.R. Martin has provided us over the years, Tysz still manages to create complex and more importantly compelling characters.

Clocking in at under a hundred and sixty pages, the novel is a relatively short read yet the depth Tysz manages to create is astounding. After completing the book I feel very much a citizen of the world the author has created and that is probably the greatest praise I can offer it. The book is exceptionally professional, with obvious editorial intervention, as well as nice additions such as a map and links to the author’s website where you can immerse yourself into Voulhire’s lore.

I would have to rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz a full 4 out of 4 stars. I have absolutely nothing but praise for this book and would highly recommend it to fantasy and adventure enthusiasts. However, due to the books more inclusion of darker elements like pedophilia and torture, I would advise that this book be consumed by those in their late teens and up.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Well done, Priyanka. Your analysis was spot on. I hope I'll see more reviews from you. See you around.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

There’s a lot of features to commend about this book. I enjoyed reading your review. Very thorough and well-written.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Nice review, Priyanka. Unfortunately, the Alderman family is not very lucky.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Very nice review! I also loved the way Tysz manages to explain the Voulhire world, so simple and so effective.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read this book, I agree with your analysis of it. Good job and thanks for the recommendation.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Wonderful review! This was also a great read for me. I'm delighted to read it from your perspective and of course this book deserves the perfect rating. Great job!
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Nice review. In my opinion, the sequels only get better.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

A very well written and informative review! I have finished reading the 6 books and can only ask you to keep reading.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I also agree with your observations that Matthew laid more emphasis on his setting than the characters. Nice review btw.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I have read other books in the "We Are Voulhire" series, and I have to say Tysz has really tried. You should also try "The Turn" series as well. Good job on the review! 👍

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”