Review by Bits Of Inkling -- We are Voulhire: The Fires ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Review by Bits Of Inkling -- We are Voulhire: The Fires ...

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen traveled to Virko together with Rowan and Demetrius to ask for some supply of iron. They were referred to Lord Venden Hrelek — the man behind the city's industrial success. The old man who is currently in a very poor condition granted their request, though, they must return the favor to him.

Before the industrial factories were built, the only known structure in Virko was the Rendenhide manor. Venden bought it and settled there with his family. However, he wasn't told about the dark secrets hidden under the house. Galen and his friends must uncover and get rid of it. The three men never thought that their seemingly ordinary voyage is the beginning of a perilous journey.

At the same time, the town of Hillport is now in the hands of the dreaded mage, Lord Dalahei Meldorath. Future events will bring disorder as darkness devours the peace in Voulhire.

Fires of Virko is the second installment of the We Are Voulhire Series. It is a fantasy novel written by Matthew Tysz. The story, in a way, symbolizes real-world events such as war, people turning away from religion, rebel factions, selfish desire for power, and the rise of evil.

I'm happy that the elements of horror and mystery are present in this book. I genuinely felt the thrill and suspense, particularly upon meeting the demon of Virko. Add to it the newly introduced characters — Folcro and Kayden. They have a well-formed characterization that made me wanted to understand how their mind works, their secrets, and what led one of them to dark things. With lots of different stories going on, I considered these occurrences as the gripping and climactic parts of the book.

Furthermore, this trio has an appealing combination — Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius. Their banters and adventures have a way of lightening up the mood like when Rowan and Demi clash (a moment which I always find amusing). At this point, Bray's character progressed and appeared to be a natural leader and peacemaker.

Just to give an idea to the future readers, a homosexual theme is present in this book, but, I can ensure that there's no narration of anything sensual. This angle is more on showing how the love started and ended up because of differences which I believe will be relatable to all genders.

Again, I will not endorse it to younger readers due to a few obscene words and sexual jokes. Also, it contains horrifying narrations about demons and descriptions that are pretty gruesome. I have not noticed any spelling or grammatical errors which means that it was well-edited. Of course, I highly recommend this novel to fantasy lovers. And, if you have read the first book, I really encourage you to continue reading.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Matthew Tysz is such a creative author and there are really great improvements in the plot and characters as compared to the first book. That would be my reason for not giving a rating lower than 4. Some details are still a puzzle to me, but, it does not matter as I'm enjoying the ride.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I agree that the banters of the trio were really entertaining to read. I’m glad you enjoyed this book. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”