Review by kaitlynrobbins -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kaitlynrobbins
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynrobbins.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Review by kaitlynrobbins -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by kaitlynrobbins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz represents the first book of the We Are Voulhire series. A young man named Galen who has just inherited his great uncle's business in Voulhire discovers an escape from his home in the Land of the Princes which is in the midst of a war. He inherits a forging business where he needs to pursue the craft to make a living doing exactly as his late uncle did, whom he has never met. He is grateful to be out of the war zone and will do whatever needs to be done to flourish in Voulhire. Meanwhile, Hillport, another town in Voulhire, had recently been taken over by a new lord since the king arrested the previous one for despicable acts and the current lord is trying to make Hillport a profitable and prosperous town in Voulhire. He runs into some pressing issues involving magic while attempting to restore the town.

I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. Even though the beginning of the book I found a little confusing because of copious amounts of information discussing the history, once I read further and learned more about the land and the characters I enjoyed it. It kept me guessing and wanting to read more. I am looking forward to reading more books in the series. I noted very few instances of typos throughout the reading. I thought the book was exceptionally well-edited which represents another reason I did not give it a lower score.

The part I liked most about the book was following multiple characters throughout the story to learn about various parts of the world. I also liked discovering the history of the world and found it beneficial that a map and glossary were provided about terms that were specific to Voulhire.

I cannot think of anything in particular that I disliked about it. I enjoyed all aspects of the book. The characters were well thought out, interesting, and mysterious. Learning what was happening in separate parts of the world from the perspective of different characters was also very intriguing.

This is a science fiction novel with magic, kingdoms, giants, war; indecent acts are also mentioned throughout the novel. I would recommend this book to young adult readers who enjoy science fiction. I would say it is inappropriate for younger readers because of the vulgar language and indecent acts mentioned throughout it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”