Review by REIGN GODDESS -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
REIGNING20
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reigning20.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by REIGN GODDESS -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by REIGNING20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While he was in the ship, Galen was uncertain about what the future held for him. He definitely hoped that Voulhire would accord him the peace that the Land of the Princes had failed to accord him. The passengers in the ship provided him with the information about Voulhire, which he needed to get started. However, neither the other passengers nor the revered old man knew about Magnum Caelum, where Galen expected to alight.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz deserves a rating of four out of four stars for its outstanding storyline and amazing plot development. It is also devoid of any grammatical mistakes and must have been edited exceptionally. The author told this story from different points of view, which alternated between the characters themselves and the third-person narrator. This stylistic technique enhanced the delivery of the story and reduced the monotony associated with reading a story based on the observations of only one person (either a character or the author).

Mathew Tysz was very kind to include a map of Voulhire in one of the initial pages of the book, which helped me to mentally monitor the activities that happened in each town or city. I could also easily trace the journeys covered by the various characters and even resonate with the span of time that it took them to travel from one point to the other. There is also a glossary at the end, which enhanced my understanding of Voulhirian terminologies.

What I liked most about this book is its originality. Tysz's ability to create a fantastically utopian country, where the political, social and economical aspects of people's lives existed mutually is very realistic. Therefore, I managed to fully blend into the lifestyle habits of each character and even mentally participate in their interactions - dialogue and other physical activities. The book almost sounded believable to me due to the flawless social construction that the author developed. His imagination and creative skills are very admirable and fit to be lauded.

There is nothing negative, which I may have against this novel. I recommend it to readers that like reading stories founded in the olden times; the use of horses as primary modes of transport or a nation where steamships are the most sophisticated forms of transport. People who also toy with the idea of magic will be enthralled by the potential held by anything which originates from Caromentis.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
我是赢家
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The map of Voulhire will be of more use as your continue reading the series. Kudos to the author for creating a believable fantasy! Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: Darkness of Blue by Gary A James

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

I have read and written a review on this book. I agree that it has an original plot, and the author’s imaginative and creative skill is simply commendable. Great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

Amazing review! The author is extremely skilled in worldbuilding, you're absolutely right :)
REIGNING20
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by REIGNING20 »

rahilshajahan wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 06:38 The map of Voulhire will be of more use as your continue reading the series. Kudos to the author for creating a believable fantasy! Thanks for an insightful review!
I am definitely going to proceed with reading the other books in the series. Thank you for the comment.
我是赢家
REIGNING20
Currently Reading:

Post by REIGNING20 »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 08:07 I have read and written a review on this book. I agree that it has an original plot, and the author’s imaginative and creative skill is simply commendable. Great review!
There's truly a lot of positive things to say about this book. Thank you for the comment.
我是赢家
REIGNING20
Currently Reading:

Post by REIGNING20 »

Ellylion wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 08:12 Amazing review! The author is extremely skilled in worldbuilding, you're absolutely right :)
Your comment is encouraging as well, thank you!
我是赢家
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Wedding Girl
Bookshelf Size: 625
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Grant Justice by Robert Gregory Fegers
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

It seems like everybody else has read this book. I feel so out of place. I need to get to know Galen very soon.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I've read this book myself, and I have to agree with your points – I really liked the inclusion of the map and tracing the journeys of the characters as well. Thanks for the great review!
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Waking Dead by Jay Glendell
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read this book, I agree with your analysis of it! I also enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review. Good job!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Awake and Dreaming by AJ Publications
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

It's crazy how the author managed to create a fictional world that is at the same time very realistic. Great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Santa's Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I've reviewed this book but didn't enjoy it. I found the first half boring, but your review is good.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Divergent_2020 »

I also read the book a while ago. I too liked that the map was what introduced us to this story. Great job with the review. I hope you continue reading the series, it only gets better!
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

This is one series I intend to read. The setting seems to possess immense creativity. No wonder it earned an excellent rating.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Evolution's Magnum Opus by Stephen M. Roth

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for this detailed review. I'm happy you enjoyed the book. By this review, I'm motivated to read it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”