Review by Avalonia_C -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Avalonia_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avalonia-c.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Avalonia_C -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Avalonia_C »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a glorious fantasy novel written by Matthew Tysz. Showcasing the different aspects of war, magic, adventure, and politics, the kingdom of Voulhire presented to us a world so filled with magic and suspense, that you would lose yourself in the reality of this book. This book is filled to the brim with gorgeous details about its worldbuilding; from fishing towns, to grand capitals. A truly must-read book for lore lovers.

Our protagonist is Galen Bray, a refugee from the warring Lands of the Princes. His great uncle has recently passed away and has given him inheritance of his forge and money in Magnum Caelum. Alongside his late grandfather's will executor, Rowan, they set on a journey to experience the wonders Voulhire has to offer.

Lord Eldus Alderman, a newly appointed lord in the small town of Hillport by King Wilhelm, is tasked to help the coastal town prosper and recover. The stigma of Orlin and Meldorath, the former lords, is left etched into the memories and lives of the town's inhabitants, but are they really gone for good?

The book is written from the perspective of multiple characters, switching from first person to third person from time to time. Mr. Tysz greatly showed off his skills when he juggled and balanced the perspective alongside the worldbuilding and plot. A truly unique experience does the book offer.

I liked most about this book the way it presented the diversity of its magic and culture. It had the same vibe as the Lord of the Rings novels. A great read for fantasy lovers everywhere.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 , although I can see that it was professionally edited, there were still some mistakes done (e.g miscolored text). I would also like to add that some words, sentences, and phrases could have been omitted, because they were no longer necessary in the deliverance of information. However, this writing style did bring a certain charm to the book and that is why it is still a 4.

Mr. Tysz proved his love for psychology in this book as we can truly see the humanity of each character and what drives them. The only thing I find lacking is more exposition on the character background of Galen, I hope this will improve in future novels.

The book contains vulgar words and a slightly erotic scene that includes a judge, I rate the scene 1 out of 5. This is a great recommend for fantasy, adventure, and science-fiction lovers. However, this isn't a book that's good for sensitive, and very young readers, you need to be at least thirteen to read this book. But overall, a great book, and a certain must read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”