Review by ashleighpearce -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashleighpearce
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleighpearce.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by ashleighpearce -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by ashleighpearce »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In this special kingdom, where all the tools are provided to build a perfect world, you will stand as a firsthand witness to what people do when they have no excuse to fail. This, my children, is the magnificent and terrifying kingdom of Voulhire!” This quote, which I found in WE ARE VOULHIRE: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, is a perfect representation of the essence of this book. Being the first book in the “We are Voulhire” series written by Matthew Tysz, it essentially acts as an introduction to the land, politics, history, and secrets of this made-up land.

The uncovering of Voulhire presents itself through the lives of many characters - the most prominent being those of Galen, Lord Eldus, and King Wilhelm. Galen has traveled from the Land of Princes to Magnum Caelum in Voulhire to work at his uncle’s forge. Lord Eldus arrives in the town of Hillport in Voulhire with his family to fix and restore its prosperity. And King Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire, appears to have a few hidden mysteries. Through these three main characters, with their separate yet intertwined lives, a mystically enticing land of knights, lords, castles, kings, enemies, mages, and magic comes to life.

There were many aspects of the book that I enjoyed: from the get-go I was intrigued by the story-line and captivated by the story-telling. The author had a unique way of being thoroughly descriptive but not to the point of losing the reader - this allowed a comprehensive visualization of the land of Voulhire. This was also helped by the inclusion of a map at the beginning of the book. And, although the book is categorical of a fantasy genre, there were also aspects of action, suspense, and humor which were all valuable insertions to the story.

The only aspect of this book that I did not enjoy was the use of profane language because, in terms of the context of the book, I thought it was unnecessary and that the same points could have been made without such language. This, however, did not affect my feelings about the book as a whole.

Since I was enamored by this book and struggled to put it down, I am going to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I could not pick up any errors and thought the book to be exceptionally written and edited. I am delighted that this book is not the end, but rather the beginning of a very promising series. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good fantasy novel filled with adventure, suspense, and mystery. I would not recommend it to younger readers because of the use of profane language.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”