Review by Sunnybydesign -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnybydesign
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnybydesign.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sunnybydesign -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunnybydesign »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a post apocalyptic world, two young men, Ashley and Scholar, task themselves to save the new world by ridding it of the latest arrivals to it, the gods. These are superhuman beings gifted with immortality as well as other varying powers to enable them control over specific elements of the universe. One such being is the King of May, who happens to be gifted with one of the most lucrative powers at that time, sunlight. The gods vary in demeanor and appearance and this specific one, is described as being grotesque in both senses. He is a selfish but witty character who takes pleasure in inflicting pain, to others just as he does to himself. The book takes you through his life from his perspective as well as discusses the to be expected plots for his demise.

This story’s main focus however are the two men mentioned earlier who happen to be part of those who share in the conspiracy to end this terrible and cruel king. They go through many an adventure together and grow fond enough to risk their own lives countless times to save each other. But to their credit, together they are a force to reckon with. They manage to exterminate all who come in their way, ranging from strong men to unfathomably powerful gods and always come out of it in one piece, though not always unscathed.

An insight is also given into a powerful man known as Cattleprod. He is a former slaver turned leader of many a civilizations who never tires nor ceases conquering new lands to make his own. He stops at nothing to get his way and is a highly resourceful yet just leader. He keeps finding new ways to grow both in influence and in power and his path crosses with those of the earlier mentioned characters, collaborating with some while warring with others.

I highly enjoyed this read. Matthew Tysz does an amazing job of keeping the reader intrigued and hooked on the story from the very first to the absolute last page. He uses vivid descriptions and graphic imagery that enables the reader to feel as if they can witness all the events taking place in the story. He finds a way to make a connection between you and the characters, so much so their losses become your losses and their joys warm you as much as your own.

I did not find any faults with the book, save for the excessive use of profanity and mentions of obscenities, which I did not mind as such since it's an adult novel. I however felt it necessary to point it out so as to give a heads up to any potential reader who may not be comfortable with this. I also barely found any editorial errors within the story and those present did not in any way affect the quality of the narrative. I therefore felt The King of May deserved a perfect rating of 4 out 4. Any lover of fictional or fantasy and dystopian novels will immensely enjoy this read. However, it may not be suitable for younger and more conservative audiences.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”