Review by Aaron Ambers -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-ambers.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Aaron Ambers -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

Post by Aaron Ambers »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire-The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is an engaging read mainly due to the easy grasp of the storyline. Virko, a merchant city which was developed into the industrial city it became, was formerly an empty land expanse with few structures when Lord Venden Hrelek moved-in to spearhead its ingenious development. However, with the decline of the Lord's health and his nearness to death, the Lord writes the King of Voulhire- King Wilhem, of his proposed plan to shift the balance of power from himself to bankers, investors and business owners. Matthew Tysz in this chronicle outlined the complex interplay of powers in the drive of civilisation and economy.

Meanwhile, Lord Venden Hrelek's son, young Hans Hrelek popularly known as Folcro, dabbled into dark magic after accessing a room in the basement of their residence - a structure originally used for housing bound demons, before its occupation by Lord Venden Hrelek and his family, during his relocation to Virko. Galen Bray, a blacksmith from Magnum Caelum along with his friends Rowan and Demetrius-a monk, learns of iron availability at Virko. The trio journeyed to the industrial city to ask Lord Venden for this favour (supply of iron to Magnum Caelum). Demetrius, also learns of the presence of a bound demon in the basement of the Hrelek's apartment and makes a committal to Lord Venden to cleanse the room upon the Lord's request.

The author makes the narrative engaging with an applaudable storyline, clear character depiction (I liked this about the book) and interconnected scenes. The writer also employed first and third person narrative in the scene narration. Folcro's access to magical powers and governing control over the demon named Sod, further darkens his dark imagination as he intends to use the demon in the governance and rulership of the city of Virko. The appearance of Demetrius in the city brings an interruption to Folcro's carefully concocted plot. The episodes flow into each other easily.

Matthew Tysz does an excellent editing of his works, a progress observed in my review of three of his books. I, therefore, award this text a 4 out of 4 Stars. The chosen star rating is primarily because of the excellence in writing, editing and an easily understood storyline. I did not observe any error. This made the perusal of the book easy and comprehensive.

The novel is recommended to adults. It is also recommended to readers who find Matthew Tysz's writing, and writing style enamoring and engaging. The book contains no account of mature theme, however, mentions are not absent. The chronicle contains only few cases of profanity and vulgarity, readers are therefore, pre-informed in order to inform their decision in its selection. Tysz is an amazing writer.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What makes you different or weird – that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
:tiphat:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I agree, Tysz is a very interesting author and this series is very engaging :) Thanks for this insightful review!
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I agree, Tysz's writing is engaging and fits the fantasy genre perfectly! I thought this series would be appropriate for teens as well, but this book was much darker than the prequel. Good job on pointing out why this series is amazing!
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:

Post by Aaron Ambers »

Ellylion wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 12:57 I agree, Tysz is a very interesting author and this series is very engaging :) Thanks for this insightful review!
Thanks for stopping by.
Tysz is an amazing writer.
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:

Post by Aaron Ambers »

azidy wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 15:14 I agree, Tysz's writing is engaging and fits the fantasy genre perfectly! I thought this series would be appropriate for teens as well, but this book was much darker than the prequel. Good job on pointing out why this series is amazing!
You're Welcome Azidy, thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”