Review by Paulson47 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paulson47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulson47.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Paulson47 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Paulson47 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An exquisitely written tale of magnificent and terrifying Kingdom of Voulhire. The first book of 'We are Voulhire' series, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is brilliantly drafted by Matthew Tysz. It is a book of fiction genre, suspenseful and fascinating under the author’s great strategic intelligence.

Emperor of Lullabies suspected that his four sons conspired against him. So, he provided them with islands to rule. The beauty and prosperity of the islands only lasted 2 years, and the civil war broke out. It is the Lands of the Princes, where death is sure either by a sword or by slow starvation unless you are a business owner or a trader. Grabbing some papers that his uncle in Magnum Caelum sent, our main character Galen Bray escapes to Voulhire from the Lands of the Princes, from where he couldn’t even define his own hair colour, from where the paintings and dreams were never seemed lovely. In Magnum Caelum, his uncle’s forge business was waiting for him, the heir.

Voulhire, under the smart and wise ruler Wilhelm was perfect, but only on the surface. In the great pace and depth, it’s so complicated with conspiracies, and conflicts with the violent rebels Riva Rohavi and Meldorath. Lord Meldorath was one of the closest friends of Wilhelm, but now he is the enemy of Voulhire. There are mages, the magic world Caromentis and a lot of breath-taking events are waiting for you. Go for it.

A really captivating novel with excellent character development, and casting, along with the well-organised plot and setting. I couldn’t stop reading it. There’s nothing I dislike here. I like every chapter in this book, but if I have to choose one, I’ll go for the parts featuring Galen. He is my favourite character. He is a simple-minded, generous, compassionate, kind and sensitive person who is a complete stranger to evil. I felt a special warmth from him, and I was comfortable with his character. I also like Rowan, Demetrius, and Wilhelm. King Wilhelm is very reliable and the quality I liked in him the most was the concern he had for his people. I really enjoyed the parts interweaving the relationship between Rowan, Galen, and Demetrius. It was very likeable.

This story soon gets the reader involved. I like the way the author implemented the fear of Meldorath in my mind. It was a slow process, but through mentions alone he could evoke fear in me. This book was very emotionally engaging. I think the author is very talented, and I look forward to reading more of his books, especially this We are Voulhire series. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fiction.

I’m glad that I didn’t come across any errors and erotic scenes. I think it’s professionally edited. There was a very minor profanity seen. Also, there were no page numbers in this book. So, it was hard to trace the quotes, etc. Overall, it’s good. I’m rating it 4 out of 4. I love it from the beginning to the end. With detailed observations and surprises at every turn, I am really amazed down to the last line. This was a great book to read

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”