Review by Chogy -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chogy.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Chogy -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Chogy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in this series. The book is focused on mainly introducing the characters, their pasts, their mindsets and their way of thinking. We get to know the kingdom of Voulhire, its current status, its past and a little bit about the world in which the story takes place. The current focus is mainly on what is going on in the physical realm and a hint of how the magical realm works.

We are introduced to Galen from the Lands of the Princes where the current state of the Lands of the Princes and its cause is mentioned. Galen moves to Voulhire and feels as if he has reached heaven; which is not far from truth for him. Here he meets Rowan and other people of Voulhire and is surprised by what is considered normal in Voulhire. On the other side of the kingdom, we are introduced to the king, the knight and the judge. The king appoints the former judge as new Lord of Hillport, a small seaside city with economical growth potential.

What I liked most about this book is the room for development for the characters. The characters introduced who are like unpolished stones with so much potential. I especially loved how the negative characters or the villains are portrayed with so much hidden traits yet to be uncovered. As we read the book we can identify the ones who will just be a supporting character and who will be leading the story. The hidden depths of simple acts are clever and praiseworthy. How one act leads to another like a practiced chess move is quite interesting. I also liked how the book is able to induce various emotions quite easily. I love how the story moves on with different point of view so we are able to see and feel what different characters are feeling about the event going on.

What I absolutely adored is how the story is interesting throughout the book. Although the story is slow paced at first, it doesn’t make it less interesting. The use of profanity was surprisingly welcome and helped to understand and develop the characters. The attention to detail made reading even more fun. Although it seemed as if the characters were simple and straightforward, we could feel something mysterious going on beneath the surface. The ending had me wondering and excited for the next book.

While I enjoyed the story immensely, it was hard for me to understand in which era the story takes place. A few instances made me confused. But, it didn't hinder much.

Since I didn’t encounter any spelling or grammatical errors, I believe this book to be exceptionally well edited. So, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars and suggest it to anyone interested in fantasy, magic, sci-fi series with a hint of mystery.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”