Review by Sres0 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sres0
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sres0.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Sres0 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Sres0 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fantasy book that delves into the cosmic world of Voulhire, ruled by authoritarian figures such as kings, lords, high-status religious members, and so on. And, just like any other land with authoritarian power, there is a resistance seeking to regain control of the territory. Matthew Tysz has done an outstanding job at portraying real characters with their own agenda and entangling the story in an interesting, captivating way, telling it in the perfect order and in clever ways for the reader to keep up with the world, its history, and all of the new terms associated with it. Raised on Long Island, Matthew was born on May 24th, 1989, and has had a diverse life, always having the notion he is observant at his best.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies follows the story of Galen Bray, an outlander to Voulhire that went to this "developed" kingdom from a tarnished land, and his adventures through various places of Voulhire. Meanwhile, the book also focuses on the start of a long-held war between the king and the Revi--the rebel forces--made possible by a questionable secret kept by his majesty. In its 150 pages, this first book out of nine explores humanity at its best: hope, trust, good intentions, betrayal, abuse of power, and grudges.

Profanity was present in the book, with borderline words such as "slut", "tits" or "ass", and harsher words like "sh*it" or "f*ck," which let the reader understand the characters better. Additionally, there was what I would say is borderline violent and erotic content, with some graphic descriptions that didn't go as far as to be considered too far. On the other hand, I must give it to Matthew that this book was exceptionally well written, as I didn't find a single typo.

As far as audiences go, I would recommend this book to people who would like to travel to a new world full of complex relationships, secret abilities, interesting places, and adventurous journeys. However, I would advise discretion as the graphic content might be triggering to some. Voulhire is a big and complex world, but you get to gradually know it along with Bray without much effort, but with a certain amusement. It's fun to get to know the characters, and the reader will most likely want to keep on with the series as Galen's adventures are only starting.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars because I loved it. I love how easy I got to learn about this vast world and got an idea of the way it works, I love how I got to know the characters from different points of view, and I mostly loved the storytelling--so much that I ended up biting my nails at some point. I would have liked for Bray to have gotten into a more complex adventure, but I also know this is the first book and his real adventure is only starting, so I know the best is yet to come. Great read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”