Review by IF1713 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
IF1713
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-if1713.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by IF1713 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by IF1713 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first entry to the, We are Voulhire Series. It acts as the main gates to a sci-fi adventure, filled with secrets ready to unfold. Intelligence and power comes into play, you can use others and you can get used, which of these characters will rise and which will fall?

Like most fantasy stories, this one also had this concept where there are two worlds: the physical world, and the magical world. In Caromentis, the magical world, the Emperor of Lullabies has 4 sons, all of which who wanted a piece of the throne. In an effort to outsmart the Emperor, they planned to work together to overthrow him then share the lands equally among them. However, the Emperor was smarter and should not be underestimated. With wit, he indirectly caused his sons to conspire against each other. And we all know that war had always been expensive, taking human lives and natural resources. Which is why when Galen Bray was given the opportunity to leave the Land of Princes, where war continued to happen, he was beyond thankful and grabbed the opportunity for dear life. And he was brought to the Cosmos, the physical world, more specifically, to Magnum Caelum in Voulhire.

Enter Voulhire. A monarchy stands with a king who posses a heart of gold. But Voulhire is filled with people whose ambition is incomparable. Their intelligence is like no other, and their power fear inducing. And their intentions, though unclear, screams the sound of danger. A trouble waiting to happen.

In the beginning of the book, there’s a map. A visualization of the lands of Voulhire. As a reader, I really appreciated this, it helped with creating the image in my mind. Other than that, I liked the presence of trading in this book. Since there are several cities in Voulhire, I liked how each of them had their own specialties. Like how Virko is industrial, Yamon Soul is religious, Alcovia has mines, Hillport is rich in sea products, and Soulhire (Voulhire’s Capital) advance in politics.

I want to bring into notice how unlike other fantasy stories, this book has an impressively strong political structure that is very realistic. The existence of unity and diversity at the same time allows the story to make turns that are incredibly hooking. And although the past kings and the current one made good decisions, I liked how it was showed that they were not perfect. And their mistakes had consequences.

It was clear as daylight how this book deserved a 4 out of 4 stars. Aside from Rowan’s occasional sexual comments, there are plenty of factors, all of which I really loved. Like how strong characters showed that they really are strong. Their wit were showed with subtlety, yet they rose and survived because of it. The story was told in third point of view, with the only exception to Galen who told his part in first point of view. The third point of view follows several characters individually, and it was a commendable way to show the readers what was happening all around Voulhire. And through this, readers can watch how their point of views meet, and each dots connect.

Unfortunately, because We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is only the first entry to the We are Voulhire Series, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Fortunately, it is the first entry, meaning, there is more to come. I recommend this book despite several profanities scattered throughout the book. This story has entered my heart, fiddled with my mind, making me want to read more and more about it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”