Review by gelli_baranda -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by gelli_baranda -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriva...

Post by gelli_baranda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is one of the books I had to read twice not because I did not understand the content, but because it was a well-crafted masterpiece.

We are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz tells the story of Galen, a refugee traveling to Voulhire to manage the estate of his deceased uncle; King Wilhelm Arcolo, who is locked in a political tie with the head of Mianoran Council for power over Voulhire; and Lord Eldus Alderman, a former judge who is trusted by the king to turn the town of Hillport into a progressive state and to heal the wounds created by its previous leader, Lord Orlin. A powerful mage by the name of Meldorath has sowed evil and fright among the Voulhirians. He is believed to be dead. Or is he? How are they all connected to each other? These are the mysteries that a reader must find out.

One of the things that made the novel appealing is its “less sex” tagline. The novel is a great read for readers who might want to avoid certain intimate acts. Aside from this, Meldorath’s story is something to look forward to in the next series of the book installment. Cliffhangers played a big part in the novel. In fact, this is something a reader wants regardless of the genre. The book's introduction and end quickly pull the reader in right away. Like salt and pepper, the novel is sprinkled with suspense to keep the readers on their feet. I also like the way how the author used some modern words (university and director) to conveniently connect with the reader. If you are a fan of the medieval era, this book is a must-try.

A unique government also exists in Voulhire. Although the kingdom is ruled by a monarch, the power to accept the future heir to the throne does not lie with the king, but with a council that has been established many years ago. In real life, this may complicate the political situation of any country.

While I agree that the novel is a great read, I believe that one of the minor drawbacks of the novel is the slow movement of the plot, however, I think it is intentionally done. I’m not complaining, though.

Overall, the book is an excellent read for adults, and thus, I give We are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. It has no editorial issues. It laid the groundwork to introduce the characters and story without giving the suspense away. It slowly unravels to tell each individual story using the proper mode of storytelling. Learning to do this is exceptionally challenging for most writers. A mix of borderline profanity and mild narrative of sex from the novel may not be suitable for children. Even with all the minor crudeness and sex, I hope to read the next novel and immerse myself in the Voulhire universe. Well done!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”