Review by Vansolit -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vansolit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vansolit.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Vansolit -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Vansolit »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel about greed, power, mysticism, redemption, hate, revenge, and friendship. Set in the Voulhire Kingdom, a land blessed with prosperity and a hardworking people, yet cursed by a gateway that connects the magical and physical world. The story follows Galen Bray's treacherous journey from the Land of the Princes to the more upbeat and prosperous city of Magnum Caelum; he is the next in line to inherit the estate and business of his late uncle. He meets with uncle's estate executor Rowen and a special bond of friendship develops between them.

Rowen believes Galen is destined for greatness, but Galen has his reservations. Meanwhile, in a different part of the Kingdom, a new ruler Lord Eldus is settling into his new home under the instructions of the King. Mages, soldiers, servanthood, magic, and politics are a way of life, but danger lurks from within and further out. The King of Lullabies awaits news from his newly-installed lord, Riva Rohavi is moving forward with their assault and a newcomer has just broken through from the magical veil.

What immediately caught my attention and liked was the inclusion of the Kingdom's map, which gives an introduction to main cast cities in the story; with the map in mind it is easy to relate to them in the story. Being the first installment of the series, Tysz character development is excellent; each with a dedicated" chapter" that gives the reader an opportunity to clearly understand the characters and the role they play throughout the series. I also liked the transition of the story between the cast in the story and the excellent use of humor when it is least expected. The only bit that I disliked, was the early character assassination, it would have been interesting to further develop some of the characters for the next installment.

The book is well-executed and I did not find any typos. I would ideally recommend it to adult readers who enjoy the science fiction genre. I would also recommend it to newbies in the genre, the length is short and an intriguing read from start to finish. I, however, would not recommend the book for the younger readers as it exhibits an adult theme language in some sections. In addition readers who do not like cliff hangers, this is not a book for you.

I am giving a 4 out of 4 stars for the excellent character development, the engaging story-line, and the creativity employed to merge the ancient and new age. It is an easy read, well-structured grammar for the intended setting of the story. If science fiction is your preferred genre, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a must-read.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”