Review by Arnik -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arnik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnik.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Arnik -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Arnik »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is an adventurous book. The story revolves around a protagonist named Galen Bray. He was born in the Land of the Princes. He plans a journey to Magnem Caleum in Voulhire to get the inheritance his uncle has left behind for him. Galen’s biggest struggle is feeling accepted in his new environment. This is warranted because his magical new environment will bring many challenges along the way.

The kingdom of Voulhire is ruled over by King Welhem. The way Voulhire is run is very prominent in the book. A lot of men that live there are chasing the power and want to be in charge. Togetherness is almost lacking in this world. Due to this, the reader is almost repelled by it. This makes Galen such an appealing character in the book. The author did an amazing job with characterization and allowing the reader to infer a hidden meaning.

I liked the detailed description of each character and location given by the author. It almost felt like I was in Voulhire with Galen experiencing this world beside him. The vocabulary and word choice show a contrast between the naïve and simple mindset that Glan brings versus the dark and mysterious setting of Voulhire. I also enjoyed the contrast of tone between the beginning of the book versus the end. The beginning seemed to be like a typical bedtime story, but the ending had a deep and pressurizing tone. This set up will definitely push readers to want to read the next book in the series.

There is nothing in this book that I disliked the most. I think that the beginning could have been a little more captivating in word choice, but the rest of the book made up for that. The journey this book presents is incredible because it shows two different realities. The magical world can always be perceived as a good thing, but this book shows how the same human characteristics of greed and selfishness can extend itself to any setting.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Usually, I would never choose a mystical book, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I did not find any grammatical errors. There is vulgarity in this book which is why I would recommend this book to teens and older. I think that people that enjoy reading mystical fiction; and some that just enjoy a very mysterious book should give it a try.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”