Review by CColony2019 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CColony2019
Currently Reading: Witch Way to Murder & Mayhem
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccolony2019.html
Latest Review: Honesty is Key by Tayma Tameem

Review by CColony2019 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by CColony2019 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen is a young man from a war-torn land who has just arrived in Voulhire. His great uncle recently died and has left everything he owned to Galen. Galen meets Rowan after he arrives in Voulhire and he learns that Rowan was in charge of getting him to this new land. Rowan and Galen get along as soon as they meet and Rowan takes him on adventures the likes of which Galen has never been on before. While Voulhire seems perfect compared to the war-torn lands that Galen came from, there are many troubles right beneath the perfect exterior.

Lord Eldus has been gifted a city in southern Voulhire by the king. His job is to fix his new home. The previous lords of this city have ruined it and made it impossible for anyone to live in peace. Lord Eldus believes he is up for the task. The task of fixing the city becomes even harder when the citizens have a hard time remembering the exact details of what happened while under the rule of the first lord.

King Wilhelm is the king of Voulhire. His kingdom is prosperous, and he is proud of everything that his kingdom has become. He has sent the princes to different islands knowing that only one of his sons will come back and be worthy to rule the kingdom that he has built. The king is telling his people that a great mage that was hurting his kingdom is dead, but people are having trouble believing him.

The stories for these three men will eventually tie together but will it be for good? Will the great mage come back to Voulhire to seek revenge? Will Galen be able to help this new land that he loves so much? Will Lord Eldus be able to fix his new city?

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the series. It is an introductory book where the reader gets to meet different characters. This gives the reader time to get to know the characters and their personalities. While Galen seems to be innocent, King Wilhelm seems to have many secrets that he wants to keep hidden. My favorite part of this book was learning about everyone’s different personalities. There was enough action to keep the book moving forward while still giving the reader information on everyone. The part that I liked the least was the way the chapters shifted. Each chapter changed the main character and it felt like I was reading several different books. In this first book, it is hard to see where all the characters will meet.

Matthew Tysz has done a great job capturing each character’s different personalities. There were parts where religion played a part in the book, but I do not believe that it will affect anyone reading this book. I would recommend this book to adults that like Sci-Fi stories. There is cursing from one of the characters, but most of the characters do not curse. I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The only thing I did not care for about this book was how the chapters changed to different characters, but everything else about the book was good and kept me on my toes.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”