Review by luchi123 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by luchi123 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by luchi123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is an interesting piece of science fiction. It is also the first book in the 'We are Voulhire' series by Matthew Tysz. In it, the author tells a story of the adventures of a man called Galen Bray, who left his city of abode to claim an inheritance left to him by an estranged uncle in Voulhire. Another major part of the story is the political rivalry between the king of Voulhire and the heads of the provinces which make up Voulhire. The power tussle largely involved a man called Meldorath, who used magic to defeat his enemies and kill his successor.Hence, he was able to return to a throne from which he was banished.

The plot has a good amount of suspense in it, and a lot of reasons why I would like to read the subsequent novels in the series. The reasons include discovering the identity of the rock material that was discovered by Galen and his friend Rowan and taken to the Hillport castle. I would also like to know Rowan’s hidden motives for sticking around Galen long after the execution of his uncle’s will was done. The whereabouts of Eldus Alderman’s son, Marshus who disappeared during the battle, is another mystery that I am sure will be unraveled later.

I didn’t dislike anything about the book. However, the settings were sometimes confusing to me. I had to check the chapter titles again sometimes, to help me differentiate the provinces in which the actions took place. I was sad when I read about the death of Eldus Alderman in the Riva Rohavi attack, although he was innocent and had many great plans for the development of his province. I would have loved also to know the difference between a mage and a biomage since both groups of individuals had supernatural powers in the story.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I think that it was professionally edited and I only found one error in it. It also has a captivating plot that can be developed into many other interesting books, as the writer has begun.

The book will be found interesting by people who like to read science fiction novels and mature minds. I think that people who detest magic will not like the book. I also think that some of its content is not good for children’s consumption.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”