Review by Sally_Heart -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sally_Heart -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Sally_Heart »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is the land of dreams but even better. Right across the ocean from the land of princes that is covered by war and suffering is Voulhire. A land that has flourished through time and now it has started on an even better golden age. Galen has finally gotten the chance to move to this fabled land to inherit his great uncle’s forge in Magnum Caleum. Like any other traveler worn from his journey, he is floored when he lands on the dock of Voulhire. Here, the air is fresher and the sky even vaster. Everything seems so beautiful he can’t help but be grateful for the great uncle he never met. What Galen never knows is that good kings hide their own mysteries and beautiful lands bury their own skeletons far underneath.

We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies is the first book of a series of ten written by Matthew Tysz. Spanning through 137 pages it begins with a map of Voulhire which makes it easier to understand the landscape and the setting. As a mixture of historical fiction and fantasy, the book is as magical as you can imagine it to be. The book has several point of views and each character has an edgy story that would make you want to know more about this mysterious land. We are also given a taste of Caromentis, the land of magic, also known as the flesh of the soul.

The book has very interesting details that put much more color into the story but the details aren’t too much that you would be put off by them. I liked how the story flowed and that despite it being in several point of views each chapter smoothly integrated with the next. The suspense is definitely a page-turner and I found myself being pulled deeper with each word. The rich culture displayed by the people of Voulhire went a great way to explain their beliefs. The Riva Rohavi; a faction of rebels, also have a unique way of expressing themselves, making the story even more beautiful.

The only thing that left me disappointed was its short length; it was like a piece of marshmallow that melted too fast before I had the chance to properly taste it. But since it is a part of a series it is understandable why the book is a bit shorter than expected. The book is a great introduction which makes me salivate for the rest of its series that are to come.

We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies had no mistakes that I took note of. It is professionally edited and has little to complain about it. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars as it is a great read. I would recommend it to anyone with a love for historical fiction and magical folklore. It’s definitely worth reading.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 892
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: Exploring Spirituality in Photo and Verse by Arlene Goetze

Post by Laura Bach »

I like the combination between historical fiction and fantasy. The fact that it was too short is a nice problem to have. I can see that you loved the book. Thank you for this amazing review!
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thank you for the amazing review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”