Review by Anthony__ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Anthony__ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a fantasy reader? Do you enjoy delving into fascinating and thrilling magical worlds? Then this 151-page novel titled We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is perfect for you. It is steeped deeply in themes of magic, power, royalty, cultures, and history with undertones of political tussles.

The plot takes off from the Land of the Princes, where chaos and war have reigned supreme for twenty years by four princes who desire absolute dominance. The story is narrated by Galen Bray, who is one of the four sons of the Emperor. Sensible enough to realize that the only fate in the Land of the Princes is either "slow starvation" or "death by the sword," Galen Bray embarks on a voyage to the magical kingdom of Voulhire in the hopes of having a better life. At Voulhire, it is revealed that Bray's uncle, who was a blacksmith, has passed on, and he is the sole inheritor of the dead man's fortunes. Bray discovers that the magical and seemingly great world of Voulhire is also engulfed in undertones of evil, lies, and conspiracy. Darkness lingers around the kingdom, as those in power work to implement their desires through different machinations. Galen Bray would turn out to be a pivotal part of the kingdom. Read up to know how this plays out.

This book is a fascinating magical tale filled with simultaneously complex and vulnerable characters, yet courageous and exciting in every way. The author must be commended for mapping out of the nation of Voulhire, both literally and figuratively. The map included at the beginning of the book aided my understanding of the kingdom. Through the organization of an exciting world, the author engaged the reader in understanding the nation's structure, history, culture, and the relationship it has with the magical world of Caromentis. Since it is the first installment, it is evident that the novel succeeds very much in achieving what it has set out to do. I found myself anxiously anticipating the next book in the series.

My favourite scene is the introduction of the kingdom of Voulhire through the feast of human hands. The imagery was vivid, and the feast was a rich one with pomp and pageantry that ushered the kingdom into its golden age. Overall, the author did an excellent job with Voulhire's introduction.

However, I felt the structure of the book should have been better organized into chapters. Also, the novel is a bit slow-paced. I guess it is intentional since the author's main aim is to get readers to anticipate the next book.

The narrative is quite diverse. Although Galen Bray is the story's major character, the story is told to the reader through multiple perspectives. Also, the story dynamics are well-understood, and the reader can comprehensively understand Voulhire's rich past and glimpse unfolding events. My favourite character is Galen Bray. I like the role he played in Voulhire to become an invaluable asset to the nation. He is also a highly relatable character. His innocence and cautious ambition are highly refreshing to see in a protagonist. The novel is also filled with other gripping characters like the mysterious mage known as Lord Meldorath and Lord Eldus.

In conclusion, I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its gripping characterization, intriguing twists and turns, and the fact that it is a promising introduction into the fantasy genre. The book is also professionally edited because I did not find any grammatical or punctuation errors in it. The combination of politics, magic, and war are remarkable. Although the book has some instances of profanity, it does not change the fact that Matthew Tysz created a splendid storyline. The book is highly recommended for readers of magical and fantasy tales who want to delve into a refreshing and thrilling fantasy world. I believe they will find complete immersion in this tale.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”