Review by Alicer -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alicer
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicer.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Alicer -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Alicer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If wishes were horses beggars would ride one. What if dreams came true? As you ponder your thoughts let me introduce you to the Kingdom of Voulhire that boasts of its wonderful cities, Virko dark and prosperous, Soulhire it's the capital city with a magnificent history, Yamon Soul a holy place, Magnum Caelum, Ballerhal,
Gallador, Chalethire, Iseron among others. Each contributing economically with different activities such as fishing, blacksmith, mining, artwork i.e. painting and statues, masonry, and others.

Young Galen grabs a rare opportunity to venture out of the Lands of the Princes, which is prominent for war and anxiety. He sails, into the unknown land of Voulhier to the city of Magnum Caelum, where his uncle resides. In spite of the looming danger of sea waters and an unstable ship, he prefers the voyage than the alternative of going back. Among the passengers is a disheveled old man with long frizzled hair and a scraggly white beard, full of wisdom who once was a tutor for Lord Meldorath, Wilhelm's general who resigned to Hillport. As they sat attentively listening to his tales, it's a wonder What awaits them in the unfamiliar land, Will each of them find what they seek, or Will the wonders overcome them?

It's not only in the Kingdoms but true to the current World where children's view of success and career differ greatly from their parents, as opposed to following their footsteps. It is ideal to narture the talents of children if they are positive, so as to bring the best in them.

Politics plays a major role in the continent. Two calibers of politicians are brought out. Those interested in working for the benefit of the citizens whereas others seek attention, wealth, or power. Bringing to light how citizens sometimes are driven by the political enticement of their leaders, who have mastered the art of attracting crowds.

The different ideologies between city-bred and traditionalist are clear. One is a go-getter always wanting more the other is satisfied with simple amenities, wealth is not a necessity. Unlike most places where wealth is adorned, Magnum Caelum's largest building is the Church with the bank being the smallest. Somehow giving an impression of where their heart is. In our current society, more emphasis is allocated to acquiring wealth.

Yamon Soul opens on all days but Sunday, the gates of Val Eve were open only on Sunday. If you had business in the holiest of districts on any other day, you had to explain yourself to the Vilendrian Guard, this is quite controversial especially it being the holy land where one should be able to seek God anytime.

The author speaks of the Cosmos, the physical world, and The Caromentis. Simply put, it is the magic world. That coexist in this land it's interesting to learn how they fair on with time.

The beauty of each city is amazing from the pristine homes, unblemished landscape, paintings, ancient gardens, walls with gold engravings, among others exhibiting the great tourist attraction of this land.

It's ideal how the writer starts with an elaborate map of Voulhire citing different towns with a link guide to common words, places, and historical matters relevant to the people of Voulhire. These insights come in handy while reading.

I enjoyed the flow of the book as different characters and stories were introduced. The mystery and suspense are mouth-watering. The editing is superb. My only shortcoming was how the writer left the conclusion of most stories to the reader's imagination. But it being part of a series with five books available the answers might be a grasp away. I gladly award it four out of four stars. I highly recommend "We are Voulhire" by Matthew Tysz to the mystery and suspense lovers, historians, and those seeking adventure.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have read this too and I agree that it is a great read! The worldbuilding especially is fantastic. Tysz has some serious skills. :) I do agree also that the ending is left very open. It gives space for the next novel in the series, but it also left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. Thank you very much for your insights!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Alicer
Currently Reading:

Post by Alicer »

NDeMeer wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 12:54 I have read this too and I agree that it is a great read! The worldbuilding especially is fantastic. Tysz has some serious skills. :) I do agree also that the ending is left very open. It gives space for the next novel in the series, but it also left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. Thank you very much for your insights!
The book is quite engaging, I totally agree with your sentiments. Thanks for stopping by.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

Galen's character puzzles me and give me so much interest to want to find out what would happen to his character. But since this is part of a series can I still read this as a standalone?
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Alicer
Currently Reading:

Post by Alicer »

honesty_pays wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 01:52 Galen's character puzzles me and gives me so much interest to want to find out what would happen to his character. But since this is part of a series can I still read this as a standalone?
Indeed his character is interesting this is actually the first book of the series. It can be read as a stand-alone but in the end, there will still be unanswered questions, il advise you also read the other parts for continuity.
Christieee
2021 Reading Goal: 300
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Gunman's Ride by D.A Daugherty

Post by Christieee »

Your beginning statement is an intriguing one and it is only too true.
I’m really keen on discovering the journey of young Galen.

Thank you for the thorough review.
Viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Viczboy16 »

I read this book too. I was hoping to keep reading about the war in the land of the princes but to my greatest surprise, a wonderful plot twist happened. A must read book
Alicer
Currently Reading:

Post by Alicer »

Christieee wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 15:29 Your beginning statement is an intriguing one and it is only too true.
I’m really keen on discovering the journey of young Galen.

Thank you for the thorough review.
Thanks for stopping by, Galen is an interesting character. He seems to be a link to the stories of Voulhire. I am curious to learn more about him as the series progress.
Alicer
Currently Reading:

Post by Alicer »

Viczboy16 wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 17:19 I read this book too. I was hoping to keep reading about the war in the land of the princes but to my greatest surprise, a wonderful plot twist happened. A must read book
True, the book is full of suspense and mystery. One can't help but flip page after page as it progresses. It sure is a wonderful read. Thanks for your comments.
Daisy Cheruto
Currently Reading: Amora
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Daisy Cheruto »

I must say Tysz has some beautiful writing skills. I read the book too, I must say I admire Galen spirit. Nice review. I recommend it to others .
Alicer
Currently Reading:

Post by Alicer »

Daisy Cheruto wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 12:40 I must say Tysz has some beautiful writing skills. I read the book too, I must say I admire Galen spirit. Nice review. I recommend it to others .
Totally agree, thanks for stopping by and your comments.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”