Review by Anke_Amsenga -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anke_Amsenga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anke-amsenga.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Anke_Amsenga -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by Anke_Amsenga »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire is a science-fiction novel that immediately grabs the reader's attention and always keeps them at the edge of their seat. The characters show great progress in how they deal with politics, life and some with their supernatural abilities. There is a theme of the difference between the magical world and the physical one throughout the whole book.

The first few pages show us a map to guide you through Voulhire and give you some insight to help you visualize the fictional world as you read. The 151 pages of this book are divided into chapters showing different points of views and how the different characters' stories come together. Matthew Tysz strategically used this way of writing to keep the readers' attention and never hovered too long on each character's story before explaining another point of view.

Galen Bray originally comes from the Lands of the Princes where he knew nothing but war. When he received the news that he is to inherit his great uncle, Galen Onita's business and home in Magnum Caelum, a town in Voulhire, he jumped at the chance. There, he is greeted with a new reality and is struggling to cope with his new environment and life without war. Rowan, his uncle's executor, helps him settle in and to learn how to forge so that Galen can take over Onita Steel, his uncle's business.

Whilst Galen tries to adjust to his new life, the king of Voulhire, King Wilhelm, appointed a new mayor to Hillport, a city near Magnum Caelum, to hopefully restore the previous mayors' mistakes, Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath. But this will only be the base of Lord Eldus Wilberman's task as the Riva Rohavi enters our story.

I really enjoyed this book and since it only stretches over 151 pages, it is the perfect quick read. The characters show obvious signs of character development. Matthew Tysz always had me wondering what was coming next and I enjoyed the mystery. The plot is very original and creative.

As difficult as it is to choose, my favourite part would probably be Galen's innocent character. Even though he is 28 years old, he sometimes reminded me of an innocent young boy going to his first day of school. My only minor complaint would be some sentences' structure, but this did in no way influence my enjoyment whilst reading the book. Tysz's way of writing is intriguing and I loved the jump from the first person to third-person view in between chapters.

Every chapter raises suspense and creates mire questions that keep the reader wanting more. The book is well-edited and I noticed only a few grammatical errors. I am proud to rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars and will definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”