Review by LunaticYuki -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LunaticYuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunaticyuki.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by LunaticYuki -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by LunaticYuki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oh, have I longed for a thrilling fantasy novel that would engross me in its story. Effortlessly, time and time again, We Are Voulhire never failed to pull me towards its magnificent world. I felt myself waiting for my next read of it every time I put it down, just trying to guess eagerly what would happen next. Every word and expression was chosen delicately and carefully. The details were intricately woven into the world-building of this story, without boring you whatsoever with any unnecessary ones. On the contrary, it makes you yearn for more, just to understand or paint better scenes in your head. My applause to Matthew Tysz; his efforts were evident on every page of his book.

I couldn’t imagine a better title as it depicts exactly the kind of pride people have in their beautiful country. In a land built on hopes and dreams, Voulhire reached its golden age of technological, economical, and industrial advances. Eyed by many countries all over the world, the citizens of Voulhire aspire to protect their country and advance it even further, each with their own hopes and dreams as well. However, they’re oblivious to the looming danger soon to be facing their beloved homeland.

Simply put, We Are Voulhire, A New Arrival Under Great Skies, tells the story of numerous people from their different perspectives who all live in the land of Voulhire. Galen Bray is the first character to be introduced, coming from a land infected by civil war for years, arriving at what he considered his promised land of Voulhire where a new beginning was awaiting him. Still inexperienced with only memories of war and survival filling his mind, he began to discover what it truly means to live and started to learn about people and himself even for the first time. Interestingly, his story is told from the 1st person perspective.

Transitioning scenes from a simple man’s to ones’ with much higher positions in this country, the events that surrounded King Wilhelm and Lord Eldus Alderman soon were to unfold. From their 3rd person perspective, much more dangerous ordeals and threats were introduced. Lord Eldus, previously, Judge Eldus, was assigned by King Wilhelm as the next lord of the southern town of Hillport. This was to be a very important mission, one the king couldn’t give to any man but the one he trusted fully, due to the fact that the town was ruled by two evil predecessors: Lord Orlin, who practiced malicious acts using children, and Lord Meldorath, a great general-turned-magistrate who was later captured and then presumably killed himself after his vile experiments were found.

This world of great kings, powerful mages, and proud people slowly moves forward, taking its sweet pace without ever rushing anything. Any small action or description is intricately woven into the big picture to fit into its rightful place as part of this fantasy tale. One can already tell from the moment the events are set into motion that great threats, adventures, and trials await ahead. Everything is captivating in this novel; welcoming you and making you delve deeper without ever resisting.

I give this book 4 out of 4. I thoroughly enjoyed it with every second I spent reading it. It’s a magnificent read for all fantasy novel fans, perfecting all the practices of good story-telling in every aspect. The editing was top-notch and all the hard work and effort pulled to produce this piece of art is evident throughout. One cannot miss the great details and the amazing balance kept in the story. However, it might not appeal to some readers who prefer a more fast-paced approach. This book takes its time to give out any real or significant action, and it keeps this pace up till the end. In addition, this book is only the first one in a series of 9 promised by Matthew Tysz, so one can imagine how much more it will take for the story to really unfold and reach its much-awaited conclusion. Personally, I don’t mind this pace since it's compensated by this wonderful level of enriched story-telling. I’m satisfied completely with it and I cannot wait to read the next one.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”