Review by NDeMeer -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Review by NDeMeer -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NDeMeer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Worldlines by Adam Guest is a novel based on the scientific theory called Many Worlds. This theory states that whenever something happens, infinite amounts of Worldlines are created, each of which with a slightly different outcome. The main character, Gary Jackson, finds himself doing something terrible in a lucid dream, thinking that it doesn’t matter as it’s only a dream. However, when his mother-in-law, who has dementia, sees the exact same events of Gary’s lucid dream in one of her hallucinations, he starts to believe it might have been real – only in another Worldline. With the help of his girlfriend, her teacher, and an old friend of the family, he does what he can to make his mistake right and help his counterpart in the other Worldline.

I find the concept of Worldlines fascinating. Not only is it based on a real scientific theory, but this hypothesis is also incorporated brilliantly into the storyline. Guest explains the science behind it very clearly and cleverly through the university professor. Though the theory itself is fairly complicated, Guest manages to convey it in a way that is easy to follow and captivating.

The plotline of Worldlines is fantastic. I found myself on the edge of my seat the whole way through and I finished reading the book within a mere two days. Though Guest starts with quite some exposition and introduction into the theory and the characters’ lives, events soon take a breathtaking turn and I simply could not put the book down anymore. Guest manages to convey every plotline clearly, despite the fact that there are four different Gary Jacksons to keep track of at one point. Although this sounds complicated, I never found myself confused at all and I did not come across any plot holes.

The characters are also well-developed. The dialogue always comes across convincing and each character has their own unique voice and personality. In fact, I could even distinguish between the Gary Jacksons of the two main Worldlines as if they were two different characters – which, in a way, they were. This is something I found particularly impressive.

Pointing out the bad parts of this novel feels awfully like nitpicking. It could be said that the book starts a tad slowly. It could be said that Guest relies a little too heavily on dialogue when showing the reactions of the characters. However, all of this pales in comparison to the impressive plot.

On top of all the above, the book is also thoroughly edited. I have only been able to find three errors throughout the entire novel. There are a handful of instances of profanity and there is no sexual content. All in all, I happily rate this book a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. Worldlines stayed on my mind for days after finishing it. The story had me considering the possibilities of the Many Worlds theory and what the consequences might be. It is truly thought-provoking. I would recommend this novel to any science fiction or fantasy fan and to anyone interested in science or in the idea of multiple dimensions existing alongside ours.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

I have read the book and it was thrilling. The idea of ones existence in more than one world is fascinating and at the same time confusing.
Nice review.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:

Post by NDeMeer »

Sammuthee wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 08:27 I have read the book and it was thrilling. The idea of ones existence in more than one world is fascinating and at the same time confusing.
Nice review.
It was very thrilling! A fascinating theory :D Thanks for your comment!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Adam Guest did a good job utilizing the parallel world theory. It's so intriguing and at the same time scary, to think that there may be countless of you out there.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

Sounds like a fascinating read! I love it when sci-fi books have storylines backed by actual scientific theories, it makes them very interesting. It’s great that the author explained things clearly even with a complicated plot, as I find this is something many authors struggle to get right in books of this sort. Thanks for the great review!
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:

Post by NDeMeer »

Sou Hi wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 19:19 Adam Guest did a good job utilizing the parallel world theory. It's so intriguing and at the same time scary, to think that there may be countless of you out there.
Absolutely! It's such an intriguing theory and I love the way he worked it into a story. Thanks for your comment!
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:

Post by NDeMeer »

Pluma wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 21:15 Sounds like a fascinating read! I love it when sci-fi books have storylines backed by actual scientific theories, it makes them very interesting. It’s great that the author explained things clearly even with a complicated plot, as I find this is something many authors struggle to get right in books of this sort. Thanks for the great review!
Yeah, I was surprised by how well he handled it actually, considering how complicated things get with 4 Wordlines, hehe! Adam Guest did a brilliant job. Thanks for your lovely comment!
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Almost everything superficial about Worldlines is incredible. The title is intriguing, the book cover is eye-catching, and the premise is thought-provoking.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:

Post by NDeMeer »

aaurba wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 05:47 Almost everything superficial about Worldlines is incredible. The title is intriguing, the book cover is eye-catching, and the premise is thought-provoking.
Absolutely, and it's very well worked out too! :) Thanks for your comment!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The art of manipulating lucid dreams to achieve temporary gratification seems intriguing. Thank you for the review.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:

Post by NDeMeer »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 07:37 The art of manipulating lucid dreams to achieve temporary gratification seems intriguing. Thank you for the review.
Very much so! Thanks for stopping by :D
Joseph WK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-wk.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Joseph WK »

I rnjoyed your detailed review. An exceptional book in the world of science.
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:

Post by NDeMeer »

Joseph WK wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 15:00 I rnjoyed your detailed review. An exceptional book in the world of science.
Very much so! Thank you for your lovely comment. :)
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

The plot sounds really appealing and it would be interesting to see the author's take on the alternate universe theory. Thank you for your comprehensive review!
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I have read this book and was absolutely fascinated by the ideas of parallel universes. It was really interesting to read the scientific aspects to this. I also loved the parts about lucid dreaming. The book incorporates a lot of complicated themes. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”