Review by Tavaiel26 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Tavaiel26 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Tavaiel26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Right on the first page, we meet Galen, who barely escapes a warzone following the path of an uncle he never got to meet, but who named him his sole heir. Galen inherits his uncle's house and his responsibilities as the blacksmith of the small town of Magnum Caelum in the flourishing nation of Voulhire. From him we get a fresh perspective into Voulhire´s history and culture and its development as the nation enters a new golden age.

In the middle of the continent, King Wilhelm worries about his homeland, his people and the sinister secret hidden on an island off the nation's coast. In the south, a newly appointed Lord tries to better the decrepit infrastructure of an impoverished coastal town while helping its desperate citizens heal from months of terrible trauma. To the north, the armed forces of the insurrection have been quietly gathering strength for years. They are Voulhire, cogs of a machine that has been running since the nation was united centuries ago.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies By Matthew Tysz is an extraordinary introduction to the We are Voulhire series. We get thrown into a world that feels real right from the beginning. The universe carefully presented by Tysz has its own logic and presents a novel magic system that will delight fantasy readers. The diverse characters introduce us into the story from different perspectives while flashing out the continent from the quaint little town of Magnum Caelum to the political intrigues of the capital. Every minor detail is carefully thought of and makes the story fully immersive.

I can't find many negative things to criticise about this book as the writing was exemplary and I enjoyed the storylines greatly. The only thing I believe other readers might dislike is the lack of plot progression. As it is forewarned by the author; this book acts only as an introduction into the universe, and as such, the book does not follow the classic progression of introduction> conflict> resolution that most readers might be accustomed to. This personally didn’t bother me and purely made me want to immediately pick up the next book in the series.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars as I consider it to be amazingly well written and edited. The different storylines merged perfectly to drive the story forward without becoming confusing. I do not consider this book appropriate for young readers, as it includes some inappropriate language and violence. I would recommend this book to longtime fans of high fantasy as well as to any reader who might be looking to get into the genre.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”