Review by Sunflowerreads -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunflowerreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunflowerreads.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Sunflowerreads -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Sunflowerreads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book We are Voulhire: A new arrival under the great skies written by Matthew Tysz is a fantastic book that’s exceptionally well written. It couples together fiction as well as fantasy and also some history. The book introduces the reader into the magnifying world of Voulhire and all its glory. It starts by giving a brief history of how the countries came to be. We were then introduced to one of the main characters, Galen Bray who falls on good fortune and ends up receiving news that his uncle is searching for him. He boards a ship to the enchanting world of Voulhire leaving the old poverty riddled Land of Princes. Unfortunately, his uncle comes to his demise before being able to meet his long lost nephew. The book sees Galen navigate through the developed cities of Voulhire as he seeks to continue his uncle’s legacy of being a blacksmith with the help of Rowan, his uncle’s executioner. He experiences the great contrast between his old humble life and his new one as he journeys around the towns.

There are several plots in the book and main characters who all contribute in giving us a perspective of Voulhire, from not only one person’s account but several. We are introduced to the people that govern such a powerful country as well as the opposing counterparts. Voulhire though seemingly beautiful and modern proves to not be as magical as we all anticipated. It seems to be riddled with powerful mages and people who seek to destroy it and take over.

There is a great deal of bravery and compassion displayed by some of the characters in the book which was truly admirable, for example, Eldus, a newly appointed lord of a town called Hillport, who uses his time to think of ways to make the town an ‘envy of the Voulharian coast’. He also takes time to familiarize himself with the people and his surroundings. He vows to protect them and restore Hillport to its former glory. I liked reading about characters actively trying to change their towns for the greater good.

I loved the character called Rowan simply because of his humor that seemed to lessen the tension in certain situations. He had my favorite dialogue because it was humorous yet refreshing. Despite being inappropriate at times, his humor managed to make me laugh so much. Rowan’s personality and Galen’s seemed to compliment each other so well and it was delightful reading about them traveling together. Galen was a more quiet character while Rowan was more outgoing and didn’t hesitate to voice his opinions irregardless of how other people would take them.

I found myself getting a little confused with the changing perspectives and it was quite difficult to follow the sequence of the book at first but as I kept on reading, I couldn’t put it down! It’s a fantastic read! I’ll give it a 4 out of 4. The book has some themes of violence and a few profanities so it wouldn’t be recommended for younger audiences but it would definitely be a good read for young adults as well as mature audiences.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”