Review by maggy98 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maggy98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggy98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by maggy98 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by maggy98 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is the first book of the 'We are Voulhire Series by Mathew Tysz. The author introduces us to a world where the fight for the throne has made the land inhabitable. This is the 'land of the princes', where it is either death by starvation or death by war if you are a major supporter of the princes. Galen having grown up in this environment finally gets lucky when his uncle in Voulhire sends for him. This is why even as he travels using a boat that could disintegrate at any point, he is still full of hope for a better place to live.

The Voulhire nation was a vibrant nation with a vibrant culture and economy. Its' development could not just be explained with normal reasoning. The country was ready to enter into the 'the golden era', an era of unprecedented prosperity. However, is this land as peaceful as it sounds? The choosing of the next king is currently under Midus, the leader of people set side since time immemorial to prevent the ascension of a bad king or even blood bath during the inheritance of the throne.

Currently, the king of Voulhire was experiencing fights not just from within his court, but also from another group of people that had been enemies with the leadership of this nation from the very first king. Furthermore, rumours that the greatest mage general had died were being spread but was he really dead? Why did the people fear him so much? And then there was Cosmos the physical world and Caromentis, the world of the powerful mages. Could there be a way for the people to move in between these two worlds?

Join Mathew Tysz as he takes us on a world that he has created in his mind and has now brought on paper. This book is fast paced and leaves you with enough suspense to desire to know what happens next, with each character as intriguing as the other. This book has sinister plots as most of the people plot against others due to their selfish reasons. I totally loved this book because it was full of suspense as well as intriguing from the word go.

The book does not have a specific hero as the characters are given almost the same importance and contribution, and since it is at the start of the series, it is hard to decide who is the hero or if there really is a hero. You will find yourself hooked up in the plot and you will enjoy it.

Some of the themes that have been handled include war, religion though it is not the conventional religions we know of, magic and even politics. Somehow, the author manages to incorporate these and more themes and makes the book intriguing. The descriptions of the brutal scenes are not graphic and I feel that you can comfortably read through it. There is use of profane words and you should therefore consider this before making a purchase of the book.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves sci-fi and also magic themed stories. This will certainly have you very satisfied and even desiring more. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as the book was professionally edited and personally I found the book enjoyable. There has been a great investment in terms of imagination and this is nothing but the start. I'm already hooked.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”