Game of Thrones Series: Books vs. TV

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AQMccord3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Game of Thrones Series: Books vs. TV

Post by AQMccord3 »

Books are better hands down. Dont get me wrong, the show is Godly amazing. But there is more explanation and adventure in the books.
Christietuttle

Post by Christietuttle »

I agree the books are so much better. At times I feel that the show is jumping between 2 books, and I worry the show is going to catch up with the books before the next book is finished, what will they do then?
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I read an article which said the the author had met with the show producers, and they know the direction he intends to take the story in the remaining books. So it is entirely possible that the show will jump ahead at some point. But I will read the remaining books anyway as the shows producers have changed some things previously (I.e red wedding, missing or changed characters etc.). Also you never know the author might do something entirely different you never know.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
sventurino
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sventurino.html

Post by sventurino »

I also agree that they have done a great job keeping the books and tv show more seamless than others. The books are a fantastic read, albeit a bit too wordy. The characters keep evolving throughout the series but they are hard to keep straight if you take a brief break when reading through the series. Excellent!
ruthsbabe
Favorite Author: Lois Lowry
Favorite Book: The Giver by Lois Lowry
Currently Reading: The Girl With All the Gifts M. Carey
fav_author_id: 2653

Post by ruthsbabe »

I had read books one and two of this series before the show premiered. I felt the transition from book to show was pulled off wonderfully. You get to skip over the wordy inner dialogue some of the characters tend to engage in while still getting to see most of the important action scenes. The downside however is that you are often left guessing about the characters true motivations. Even though I've read the series I'm still on the edge of my seat when I watch the show. It certainly worth reading to books in order to get some of the back stories and to hear certain character's inner voice.
Soreta

Post by Soreta »

Boy am I glad that if found this post. I absolutely love the tv series but have postponed reading the books because they are so lengthy. I worried that it might be one of those series that give too much detail and bore you half to death before it gets to the good stuff. Gonna start reading asap :D Thanks you all xxx
Quint

Post by Quint »

Big fan of the show, but bigger fan of the books. One of my pet peeves about film/TV adaptations are the divergences the producers and filmmakers take from the source material. Most of the time its obligatory and unavoidable, but I fashion myself a purest and I will always prefer canon over adaptation.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I have read all the Game of Throne books which have been published till now and they are immensely gripping. However, I think after season 1, the TV series strayed away from the actual storyline and I felt as if they were focusing too much on the, lets say, sensational parts or trying to titillate the audience. Some episodes of TV series are actually quite disappointing and not at all subtle, unlike the books.
jnav0316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnav0316.html

Post by jnav0316 »

I think they have done a very good job considering the amount of book material that needs to be covered each episode. Season 1 was VERY similar to the book. Once they got into books 3 & 4, it was difficult because of the amount of material and how the books were written. Overall, they are doing a better job with the series than I could have imagined.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Last season I was like:

And:

"Wait, this didn't happen in the book."
"Wait, this didn't happen THAT way in the book."
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I started watching the show first and then read most of the books and I think they are doing a really good job with the show. Some characters, like Jon and Daenerys even seem more interesting in the show. That has a lot to do with the actors. Those two, while are obviously the most important characters, are very boring to me in the books. I think most of the actors on the show do a really great job. The books were very well done, especially book three and the show really does the books justice. It will be interesting to see how they wrap it all up in the last book and season.
Ritch_Bentley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritch-bentley.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Ritch_Bentley »

I'd say books are definitely better. However, I thought a few things the show has done out-paced the books. In season two, I liked Arya and Tywin's interactions better than those with her and her other handlers while at Harrenhal in the books. Also, the show digs deeper into Littlefinger and Varys, which are two great 2nd-level characters in my mind.

However, the show has totally butchered Dorne, and to a large extent the Iron Isles (even though that story arc in the books is probably my least favorite).
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I absolutely love the series. I think they've translated it pretty well from the books. The books have more details and there are some small changes from them, but they have done it well. I do prefer to watch it than read it though. My problem with the books is when you get a chapter on a character you don't like as much, that can then drag on abit.
nadzcabs
Currently Reading: The Crimson Heirlooms
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by nadzcabs »

I've watched and re-watched the tv series of game of thrones and i'am reading the books as well. The tv series has alot of plot twist that are not in the books and in the tv series there are characters that are dead while in the books they are alive, i'm wondering why did the producer and director did this in the tv series. though the books is far better than the tv series, the story is still captivating, entertaining and i love both franchise.
J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by J_D_Allen »

I actually watched most of the series first then read the books. I still read them over and over. I am awaiting the series continuation to await the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”