Review by liz im -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
liz im
Favorite Book: We Have Always Lived in a Castle
Currently Reading: The New Jim Crow
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-im.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by liz im -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by liz im »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the incredible first installation to the nine-part series written by Matthew Tysz. This novel introduces all the key players in the storyline. We follow Galen Bray, and Lord Eldus, as well as a few others, during Voulhire’s economically prosperous years. But trouble begins to stir when old enemies return through violent magical force.

The story begins with Galen Bray as the protagonist making his journey from the chaotic Lands of the Princes to Voulhire. A humble man who is greatly attuned to his surroundings, he befriends Rowan, who sent for Galen on behalf of his uncle. The pair finds adventure quickly when the forge Galen inherited needs supplies. During that time, Lord Eldus is a newly appointed lord over the village of Hillport. With two dysfunctional and terror-reigning lords before him, he is selected by King Wilhelm to soothe the minds of the townspeople and create a flourishing town. The dust had yet to settle before Lord Eldus began to look into the ways of his predecessors and discover unwanted answers about the physical world, the Cosmos, and the magic world, Caromentis.

Without a doubt, what I liked most about this book is the complex, but easy to follow storyline. When Tysz writes, he strategically places each character, setting, and dialogue. He informs his readers while pulling them deeper into the world of Voulhire. He masterfully writes each chapter as a different character, all from the 3rd-person except for Galen, while maintaining a moving storyline. It takes a couple of chapters to begin to put the pieces together, but once you get going, it flows beautifully. For example, jumping perspectives from character to character is never confusing. Throughout the novel, Tysz's precise and intentional writing is unmistakable. By the end, the author gives you a wide range of knowledge from the different cities to background on characters while drawing you further into the story. It is not action-packed but continues to be an engaging narrative.

While I found the story to be enthralling, my least favorite thing was the unanswered questions. Throughout the book, multiple characters or items come up, but Tysz does not yet expand upon their significance or divulge the specifics of any mystery material or event. While I find such things necessary to drive my curiosity to the next novel, too many unanswered questions leave me feeling as though none of my questions were answered. By the end of it, I have thrice as many questions as before.

I give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The novel is extremely well written, professionally edited with less than a handful of errors, and a pleasure to read. It’s a fresh tale containing realistic and distinct characters who live in a time where the world of magic exists. The book does contain profanity but no erotic scenes, so I would not recommend this for anyone under the age of 14-15. High schoolers would enjoy reading this, as well as anyone with a taste for teen fiction. If someone is offended by curse words or doesn’t want to read about magic, I would not recommend this book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”