Review by Justjaal_ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Review by Justjaal_ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Justjaal_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the We are Voulhire science fiction series. This book is about the incredible kingdom of Voulhire, which was going through a Golden Age of peak economic and development. The kingdom was prosperous and powerful and the king was a wise man that looked after his people and cared about their security and stability; but behind that perfect surface, Voulhire had a lot of troubles that lay hidden, waiting for the perfect opportunity to rise.

The book is written from different points of view throughout the story, letting the readers experience every moment from the perspective of each character. One of those characters, and my favorite, was Galen. Galen Bray was from the land of the Princes of the Empire of Lullabies, where the war dragged on for years because of the greed of the princes, leaving the people with no other choice other than trying to survive for years. Fortunately, Bray had the opportunity to leave the island and start a new life with the inheritance left to him from his uncle. He took the few things he had and started his journey to Magnum Caelum, a small town in the kingdom of Voulhire. There, he receives help from his uncle's executor to adapt to his new life. Galen was an innocent and humble guy, so pure that every person he met felt the urge to protect him and help him.

Besides Galen, the novel is full of intriguing and richly developed characters. Wilhelm (the King of Voulhire), who had to deal with the corruption of the Mianoran Council. Midius Maido (the first knight of the kingdom), a man who only seeks his benefits. Eldus, the judge who was selected by the king to become the Lord of Hillport, a town that was greatly affected by the two former Lords: Lord Orlin and the feared Lord Meldorath, who was reported dead; however, whose influence still horrifies the villagers.

What I liked the most, and, at the same time what I disliked the most, about this book was that you never know what is going to happen. It was unpredictable, and that's great because it keeps the reader engaged in the story; however, at the same time, it can be a little bit confusing because the frequently changing points of view leave things half-baked.

I read half of the story and I didn’t know exactly what the plot was about, it lacked clarity in that part; however, the characters were realistic and engaging. The structure of the kingdom was perfect (the author even gives a map and a guide to understand the locations and the common words of Voulhire, which was awesome) and the culture was beautiful. This is the kind of novel that allows you to immerse yourself in a new world, and that is something not too many fantasy books have.

The book doesn’t have any erotic content, but it has a few profanities and some violent scenes towards the end of the story; so I don’t recommend it for children. Also, this book is not fitting for people who don't like fantasy or storytelling from multiple points of view. Other than that, the novel is perfect for everyone who likes a great story about fantasy, magic, and kingdoms. The book is short but engaging, and the end leaves the reader with so many questions that they can't wait to read the entire series.

I didn’t find many grammatical errors, so the novel can be considered professionally edited and the story was exceptional. I give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”