Review by AnirudhChaudhary -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnirudhChaudhary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudhchaudhary.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by AnirudhChaudhary -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

Post by AnirudhChaudhary »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The intricacies of the mysterious phenomenon known as fate can somehow bind completely different people and places together into an interconnected grand scheme. One person’s actions can have unintended consequences that can lead to catastrophic or enlightening change, affecting other unknown people in ways that could ultimately come back on you. A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book of a nine part series called We are Voulhire and is written by Matthew Tysz.

Tysz’s storytelling in this fictional book is amazing. There is a great deal of detail and effort placed into all of the characters, whether it be their dialogue, expressions, appearance, beliefs, values, or personality. Each new character brings a new perspective to the story that ultimately plays a part in the overarching story line. The characters are dynamic, changing and evolving based on their situations. The world-building is creative yet clear. Not all parts of the world are fully described in this first book and I am ok with that because the hints that I got throughout make it seem like the setting of the book is going to become significantly larger throughout the course of the series. This evolution and scaling is something that I am very excited for as I continue reading this series further.

Tsyz’s organization of this book greatly contributed to my overall reading pleasure. By creating a world in which there are many different pieces that may seem unrelated, it seemed like I was reading multiple stories in the same book. Each of the chapters is from a different character’s perspective which creates this multidimensional story with frequent cliffhangers. These cliffhangers are the reason why it was so easy to get addicted to continue reading this story. I felt completely immersed into each chapter, wondering about what is going to happen to that character while pondering how they relate to the overall story.

The aspects of the book that I liked the most were the changing perspectives with the different chapters. I thought that this added an interesting dynamic to the book because it kept me on my toes about what is happening and how all the events relate to each other. The seemingly different stories also showcases the situation unfolding throughout the country from a holistic viewpoint, one in which only I, the reader, knew how everything could be connected. The thing that I disliked the most was the pacing of the story. The story starts off pretty slow and doesn’t really pick up in its pace and excitement until the end of the book. In hindsight, I am thankful for the slow pacing because it helped set the stage for the events at the end but as a reader, I would have hoped for a little more excitement at the beginning or the middle of the book.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited and other than the pacing, I have no complaints about how this book was written. I found myself flying through the book and not noticing how time had gone by. I am really excited for the rest of the series and to find out how the characters and story progress. There were multiple cases of profanity but I felt like it enhanced the book because it created characters and situations that were authentic and relatable. However, due to the profanity and some adult level themes, I would say that this story is targeted towards a slightly older age group (17+).

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”