Review by Saint Bruno -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Waking Dead by Jay Glendell
fav_author_id: 2484

Review by Saint Bruno -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Voulhire, a land of nobles, mages, rebels, and peaceful citizens, there's trouble looming on the horizon! The rise of a powerful and wicked mage, Lord Meldorath, has the whole citizens of Voulhire panic-stricken. The king of Voulhire, Wilhelm Arcolo, pacifies his followers with the news of Meldorath's death. He also appoints another lord to govern the region where Meldorath was lord before his death. But is this powerful mage dead? Time will tell!

From a war-torn land far away, a poor lad, Galen Bray, is to become the new owner of his late uncle's steel forge in Voulhire. His uncle's dying wish was for him to take over his business. Galen is happy to leave the war and abject poverty behind him and start a peaceful life in Voulhire. But just how long is this peace going to last? Perhaps it is his destiny to be in the land, but to what end? You have to read this intriguing book to find out.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. It is a fantasy adventure book that will thrill anyone who reads it. I love how the book starts with a map of Voulhire: it helped me to have a clear geographical image of the entire country and its towns. I also enjoyed how the author organized the book into parts focusing on particular characters and the events around them.

Matthew uses the third-person point of view to tell most parts of the story, but in the other parts, he uses the first-person point of view (Galen's perspective). This alternating style helped me to know other events that were simultaneously unfolding in Voulhire. I love the author's writing style and enjoyed how he introduced the characters. Even with the many characters in this book, I never lost track of any of them. The characters are well-developed and unique. More so, I enjoyed the creative use of items like diaries and journals to give the backstories of some characters in this book. Good job, Mr. Tysz.

Nevertheless, I must commend the author for the use of vivid imagery in this book. His descriptions took my imagination on a wild ride, and it felt like I was physically witnessing the events in the book. I am always on the lookout for how believable the dialogues are in any book I read, and I am glad those in this book didn't disappoint. I fell in love with Rowan's character due to his witty remarks and sense of humor. I enjoyed how much he helped Galen and made him laugh at the same time. However, what I liked the most about this book was the use of simple language in it. The story just flowed seamlessly! Mr. Tysz's style makes the book easy to follow and understand while still maintaining its atmosphere of sophistication and intrigue.

Matthew Tysz's work in this title is praiseworthy! I couldn't believe how emotionally attached I became to some of the characters in it. I feared for their safety and empathized with them. The only thing I disliked about the book was how it ended. But I couldn't hold a grudge, knowing there's a sequel to the title. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This book is also professionally edited and without typos. I am recommending this book to all epic fantasy readers except children due to some profanities in it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Your review does justice to this book. The book is indeed praise worthy.
Live and let live, baby.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 06:42 Your review does justice to this book. The book is indeed praise worthy.
Thank you very much for finding time to read and comment. :D
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book. It’s quite interesting. I’ve recently reviewed the fifth book of this series. Great review!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 10:34 I’ve read this book. It’s quite interesting. I’ve recently reviewed the fifth book of this series. Great review!
Wow! You are way ahead. Thanks for finding time to comment on my review.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

I read the same book a few weeks ago. I did not like it honestly. Maybe reading the next book in the series will help answer the questions I still have in my head.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

Great and detailed review. Mathew Tysz's work is indeed praiseworthy.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

This book was an awesome read for me! Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Kevivas03 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 12:27 I read the same book a few weeks ago. I did not like it honestly. Maybe reading the next book in the series will help answer the questions I still have in my head.
Sorry about that. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

MuthoniMuriithi wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 12:54 Great and detailed review. Mathew Tysz's work is indeed praiseworthy.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

rahilshajahan wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 12:58 This book was an awesome read for me! Thanks for an insightful review!
I appreciate your kind words! :D
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Just in time
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Unethical by Marla L. Anderson

Post by kdstrack »

I like the way you describe the author's writing style. I am looking forward to reading this series. Thanks for the positive recommendation!
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I did this book to, and would say Matthew left us hanging, with so many questions unanswered. Galen was my favorite character on this one.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 17:48 I like the way you describe the author's writing style. I am looking forward to reading this series. Thanks for the positive recommendation!
I appreciate your kind words and time to read and comment.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 18:19 I did this book to, and would say Matthew left us hanging, with so many questions unanswered. Galen was my favorite character on this one.
Thanks for finding time to read and comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”