Review by Brian Optimist -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brian Optimist
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-optimist.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Brian Optimist -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Brian Optimist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There was once a great nation ruled by a mighty emperor. As he grew older, he knew that his sons would contest him for the throne. He, therefore, gave each of them pieces of prosperous islands to rule to remove this opposition. But the princess fought amongst themselves leaving behind the kings nation. It grew to be the Voulhire kingdom. A new arrival under great skies details the current power dynamic among these lands.

A new arrival under great skies is the first book in the We are Voulhire series authored by Matthew Tysz. The book has a great plot. It has a few instances of unexpected twists that make the plot fascinating. There are many characters in the book but being the first book in a series, it is difficult to deduce the main character(s) from it. The book creates a mood of pending doom that makes you glued to the book. The dialogues in the book are a bit dry and casually formal. They, however, are able to portray the emotions of the characters. It was also possible to distinguish the characters from the dialogue.

Character development was minimal. It is important to point out that this is the first book and progression of character attributes is expected to increase down the series. Some of the characters of interest are Galen, King Wilhelm and Meldorath. Galen is portrayed as a former citizen of the harsh lands of the princes having come to the kingdom of Voulhire to start a new life. King Wilhelm has so far been portrayed as a compassionate King surrounded by advisors both cunning and honest. Meldorath is a mage previously a close friend of the King but presently a criminal.

The story is written in third person narrative. The world-building in the story is average. Certain scenes have great visual descriptions. Most of the landscapes, however, are vaguely described. The main theme of the book is conflict. From the beginning of the story to the conclusion, plenty of skirmishes have been described.

I think the book was really well-written and its plot has great potential to span out into a really good series. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. The story feels original and not some cliche' of most fictional stories' plots. I recommend this book to teens and young adults who love fiction books. I did not encounter any spelling or grammatical error. There is a lot of cursing in the book. The story is filled with a lot of violence with depictions of gore. There are no depictions of sex in the book. This book definitely gets a 4 out of 4 stars rating from me.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”