Review by Joseph_ngaruiya -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Review by Joseph_ngaruiya -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The waves of desire will always flatten the sands of the earth. In We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, desire, valor, and power are served in the best silver plates. From a land full of succession debates and war, Galen, fortunately, immigrates to Voulhire. That journey measures his tenacity, but he's willing to do anything to find profound satisfaction. Finally, he arrives in Magnum Caelum, a city in Voulhire, where his uncle's forge was located. It's a tale about his encounter with trouble makers, the infamous and also noble inhabitants of this new world. It's all carved out of the exclusionary process of him becoming acclimated to a new nation. If you are not a suspense junkie, this may be as much pre-read analysis as you need.

Galen Bray is the main voice in this novella. He's full of an affable personality, always eager to find out something new. He takes the reader on a journey through Voulhire as he aligns himself with the traditions and new way of life. The plot is so complete that you'll envision the "Black Panther's Wakanda kingdom." Voulhire has a population that honors their king. In that loyalty, the confidence of the powerful, the humility of the ragged, and the agility of the wealthy are included.

Diffused in the pages, are themes of jurisdiction, allegiance, succession, authority, and love. Matthew covers the motifs in a balanced fashion. Each chapter showcases a topic, which is then covered adequately. Although the writing style is clear-cut and effective, I wish Tysz adopted a consecutive approach of unfolding events. For instance, after Bray's journey, his settling down should have followed.

I loved the transitioning and character buildup from the first page to the last one. It stood out most for me that Galen was an immigrant from a war-torn home, yet he was able to find hope in Voulhire and learn that human interaction was a major factor in that world's prosperity. Matthew's thesis aligned with my assumptions: technological advancements, wealth, and interests can either divide or unite us.

Having conquered the zeal to read Tysz's work, I'm now yearning to quench the thirst of drinking from the springs of the We are Voulhire series. Nevertheless, I found a few inconsequential errors. There are also instances of non-borderline profanity, and therefore I'd recommend this book to young adults or mature readers. My rating stands at 4 out of 4 stars. If you're grabbed into reading sci-fi and captivating works, then get ready to dive in deep.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I like how you pointed out the different topics the author introduced in the book. The traditions and political struggles were very interesting to read about.

Thank you for the review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I also admired how this book touched on so many important subjects. Thank you for a great review!
Blackbeuty B52
Currently Reading: The Empress: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackbeuty-b52.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Blackbeuty B52 »

We all encounter our own traits, it's how we deal with them that serves the outcome, this book is a classic example of how Galen Bray portraits himself to be able to connect any given situation, to self expand his approach to everything he encountered and build strength and character.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Your writing style is really sophisticated and somewhat poetic. Nice review.
I'm also on this Voulhire journey.
Live and let live, baby.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I can see that everybody enjoyed reading the book, but not me! I felt bored during the long descriptions of the cities and places. Still, I think its a good read! Great review!
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

azidy wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 15:20 I like how you pointed out the different topics the author introduced in the book. The traditions and political struggles were very interesting to read about.

Thank you for the review!
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that you spared time to read my review.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Ellylion wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 03:40 I also admired how this book touched on so many important subjects. Thank you for a great review!
I’m glad you also enjoyed reading the book. You can go through my reviews to find if there’s another book you’d enjoy reading.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Blackbeuty B52 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 04:33 We all encounter our own traits, it's how we deal with them that serves the outcome, this book is a classic example of how Galen Bray portraits himself to be able to connect any given situation, to self expand his approach to everything he encountered and build strength and character.
Very well put. Thank you for your comments.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 02:43 Your writing style is really sophisticated and somewhat poetic. Nice review.
I'm also on this Voulhire journey.
Stick around for more reviews. I appreciate your thoughts.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 02:45 I can see that everybody enjoyed reading the book, but not me! I felt bored during the long descriptions of the cities and places. Still, I think its a good read! Great review!
Sorry about that. Thank you for airing your views.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Love Under Construction by Norma Allen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

"Matthew's thesis aligned with my assumptions: technological advancements, wealth, and interests can either divide or unite us."
This is so true for our country right now, too.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

I don't know if I would call this sci-fi. It's definitely more fantasy with the magic systems, but I am currently reading book 2. Galen still hasn't sold me as the main character yet. He's nice but the least interesting character in the bunch. I'm still reading though so I'll see.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

The book was skillfully written, Mathew Tysz is my favorite author.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”