Official Review: An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: The Centurion by Joe Mack High

Official Review: An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown

Post by Juliet+1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown" by Gene Abravaya.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown is the second volume of a projected trilogy featuring the medieval-style kingdom of Bandidon and a struggle for the throne between twin brothers. It begins with Prince Bryand (the good twin) fleeing the country with his three best friends in order to escape the assassins that Prince Daron (the bad twin) has sent after him. Bryand and his friends set sail to the uncharted lands beyond the Tanta Mounts, taking along a mapmaker and his assistant.

But another ship follows them. Even when Bryand docks his ship and begins to lead his group inland, the mysterious others are still in pursuit. At times, they come close enough to mount an attack. Between the pursuing assassins and fantastic monsters of all kinds—Halfenhalfs, Hissies, Roasts, and one intoxicated Flagon Dragon—the travelers spend much of their time fighting. Will they ever manage to elude these threats and find their way to the Tanta Mounts? And what might await them there?

Like the first book, this one features Gene Abravaya's marvelous wordplay and lighthearted humor. I especially admired a scene in which a tree named Flora is quoted as saying to Bryand and his companions that she would "as lief see you stay."

One of the most interesting aspects of the story is the relationship between Ayland Downing, the mapmaker, and his assistant, Rolfo. With entirely different personalities, they struggle to work together. Ayland is kind and considerate but lacks self-confidence. Rolfo is a greedy scamp and rather cowardly, but he knows how to enjoy life. As the adventure unfolds, each one changes and learns to appreciate the other.

Equally noteworthy are the author's detailed and convincing accounts of the many battles that Bryand and company must fight. Human participants wield crossbows, swords, spears, and axes, while ogres and other beasts rely on teeth, claws, and a variety of special appendages. These conflicts are often so lifelike that readers may feel the need to take cover.

Enough backstory is provided to allow An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown to be read on its own. But for maximum reading pleasure, I recommend beginning with the first book, A Prince of a King, which describes the kingdom of Bandidon, introduces all the key characters, relates the circumstances leading to conflict between the twin princes, and sets the scene for future events.

An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown has earned 4 out of 4 stars for its realistic and relatable characters, clever wordplay, suspenseful battle scenes, exciting descriptions of adventures in unexplored lands, and delightful humor. It is well written and well edited. There is much to like and nothing to dislike in this engaging story. Readers who appreciate lighthearted fantasy and adventure tales are certain to enjoy such a lively and amusing novel.

An Unexpected Excursion Into the Unknown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Reitumetse_R »

Seems like a lovely book. I'll never understand why siblings choose hate for each other because stuff like power.
Thank you for your review

sweet_lhyneilla24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sweet_lhyneilla24 »

A lot of twist and turns of adventure. Might get excited what will happen next

Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Good, it has enough backstory from the previous volume. Thanks for the review.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great read and a promising series for fantasy genre lovers :) Adventures in unexplored lands are especially appealing, I love such stories! Thank you very much for this insightful review!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Persepolis Rising
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a funny novel to recommend to fantasy fans in search for something not too dramatic. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Eva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: ByTheWay
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07GJWSLYW

Post by Eva Stoyanova »

Sounds engaging and quite promising. The story sounds interesting with well developed characters.Thanks for the nice review!
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight

Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like an interesting and enjoyable read. I’ll have a look at the previous book too. Great detailed review!

Suesea
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suesea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Suesea »

Great review. The book sounds like a fascinating adventure. Who wouldn't want to read about a Flagon Dragon? This book sounds deliciously fun. I expect it will be a marvelous, intriguing journey. Thank you for your review. You sold it.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Pluma »

Sounds like a great book, especially with the element of the wordplay added. It’s also great that the battle scenes are well done and lifelike. Thanks for the detailed review!

Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: COVID-19 is not an act of God by P A Grant

Post by Nonny2208 »

Looks like an interesting book to read, I like the fact that the book can stand alone and make sense. I've had problems understanding some books that were part of a series and didn't contain enough background information. Your review was exceptional.

NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Wow, this sounds like an amazing story! I love how you summed it up in the end; realistic and relatable characters, clever wordplay, suspenseful battle scenes, exciting descriptions of adventures in unexplored lands, and delightful humor. These are all things that very much catch my attention in a book and I'm looking forward to reading this sometime. Thanks for your insights!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I love this genre and I might give this book a try.

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Am in!!! Its exactly my type and I would love to read it. Thanks for a detailed review Juliet🙂
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Luluwa79 »

Thanks for the summary and review. I would love to read the story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”