Review by JodieW1 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JodieW1
Currently Reading: The World As We Know It
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodiew1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Review by JodieW1 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by JodieW1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the beginning of a fantasy series by Matthew Tysz. It tells the tale of a world where magic and magical worlds exist in and around an ordinary albeit unsteady world. It’s a world that is trying to grow and prosper despite its turbulent past. The author successfully incorporates the storyline of various characters from different cities within Voulhire, all of whom play an integral part in shaping the story. As this first story nears its end the reader begins to see how each character is connected. However, it leaves you sufficiently wanting in order to keep your interest piqued. As you finish, you would find yourself asking questions such as; what is Voulhire’s link with the Land of the Princes, what is Galen’s future role, why is Rowan sticking around, what will the Monk reveal, where is Lord Eldus’ son and what will Meldorath do?

Although an avid reader, my interest in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi Genres is limited to the really well-known Authors or stories and it is for this reason I occasionally choose these types of books to read so as to broaden my library. As a result, on some of these occasions I come across Novels that exceed my expectations as this one has. The Author creates a world that seems impossible but plausible at the same time that keeps you engrossed in the story to the very end.

I especially like that he provides a map of Voulhire and a reference guide link of all the unusual words, phrases and places pertaining to Voulhire which makes you feel as if you already know the world that is Voulhire. The book is well-written and I did not detect any grammar mistakes or typographical errors. The Author also has a knack for describing the surroundings and creating characters that you instantly like or dislike. This shows that he took time to develop his characters before putting pen to paper. I did not dislike anything about the book.

I rate the story 4 out of 4 stars as the storylines, characters and creative build-up is riveting. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

The story has no erotic scenes but does include instances of profanity as part of the characters’ speech. As a result, I would recommend the book to mature readers who enjoy stories that include mention of magic and otherworldly references. As well, the story mentions mayhem, murder and destruction and the audience should consider this in selecting the book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I agree, the descriptions were amazing! It's really nice you pointed out how you've mostly read the well-known books. These new series can sometimes be overlooked and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you for writing the review!
JodieW1
Currently Reading: The World As We Know It
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodiew1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by JodieW1 »

Thank you for reading my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”