Review by Wamakima -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wamakima
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Wamakima -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Wamakima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fans of fantasy and science fiction should get their hands on this book and have their minds blown away. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is an enchanting novel by Matthew Tsyz. Tsyz introduces us to the beautiful country of Voulhire, where magic and physics coexist in harmony. Galen, a youth from the terrible Lands of the Princes, takes a dangerous voyage to Magnum Caelum to meet his estranged dying uncle. He arrives to find that his uncle has already died but has left an executor. Meanwhile, the imprisoned Lord Meldorath bids his time as he plans his revenge on a close friend who betrayed him.

The chapters are divided into different perspectives of each different character. Tsyz incorporates his background as a patient sitter in the novel. He introduces us to psychological terms such as OCD, regression and cognitive dissonance. The setting has both the feel of the modern and traditional world. The garments, mode of transport, mode of communication and ruling system are traditional. But, the language used is modern as the characters often use cuss words.

Through Galen, Rowan and Demetrius we can clearly observe the theme of friendship. Early on from the onset of their companionship, Rowan shows his loyalty and devotion to Galen. As his uncle's executor, he also decides to help Galen learn the ropes of metalwork. We also see help from other worldly powers through Demetrius who's an imbuer. Other themes include war and betrayal.

I really enjoyed the book. The author employs suspense and excitement in his writing. These elements commanded my attention right from the beginning of the book till the end. Throughout the book I noticed only one error. However, I didn't understand how the writings in Galen's manual appeared. The only character who can do this is Meldorath, and he is very much alive. Tsyz did little to explain why or how they appeared. The description of places also appeared scanty in some parts of the book. For instance, I found it hard to picture the exact positioning of the manor on Lorcia's Isle, the forest and the port. Also, there's a gap between the times Galen receives his deed and when he starts forging metal. I would have appreciated a little more description to explain the transition. Apart from that I did not find anything to dislike about the book.

I rate the book 4 out 4 stars. The plot twists and the characters are all very fascinating.The violent scenes are not as gory as I had expected. At times while reading I had to take a breather just to process the sequence of events. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”