Review by MeganDJ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Remy: A Book About Believing in Yourself by Mayuri Naidoo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by MeganDJ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by MeganDJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a character-driven narrative that has been carefully curated by Matthew Tysz. This slow burn of a pioneer novel does an impeccable job of developing characters, creating immersive worlds (yes, plural!) and keeps you well and truly on your toes until the very end; setting the tone and atmosphere of events yet to come It.

We have multiple perspectives and personalities to explore, as we are not limited to a lone protagonist. However, Galen, who is a refugee from the Lands of the Princes, seems to be a pinnacle piece in Matthew’s puzzle. The land from which he fled is war-torn and lost; divided by the greed and lust of four great Princes. Each vying for a larger piece of land and prosperity, the Princes are forever engaged in war with one another, and all those that live in the Lands are destined for poverty, misery and death.

A long lost uncle, who had discovered that he still had kin left in the Lands, sent for his nephew in the hopes that he would carry on his smithy legacy. Galen accepts and embarks on the journey to Voulfire, where dreams are said to be made and brought to fruition. However, not all is well in this new kingdom. War of a different kind lurks beneath the shadows but what kind of evil threatens the peace of the Voulhirian Empire?

The narrative of the story is beautifully written, from the descriptive imagery of the surroundings and landscape to the inner-most thoughts and feelings of the characters that are encountered along the journey. Each one of them is written in a unique and charismatic way so that you would never confuse one for the other. Their all-too-human intentions behind behaviours and actions made the story both believable and relatable in a world full of magic and intrigue. This book is the perfect diving board for the rest of the series; it has set the pieces in place, waiting for the spark that will ignite a series of future events.

I encountered no errors of any kind during my read. There is absolutely nothing that I disliked about this book. I would highly recommend this complicated yet captivating book to any adult fans of sci-fi novels. There were scenes of violence and topics that may not be suitable for younger audiences. This book is an absolute delight to the imagination and has been a welcomed change to the books I have read of late. In summary, I award this literary masterpiece 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t wait to dive even deeper into this series to see what happens next.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I read this book and loved it. Beautiful review.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

This was an informative review without revealing too much of the plot. Good job! I'm glad you pointed out how the characters seemed unique and believable because I couldn't agree more.
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Slater678 »

Galen seems to being prepared for bigger things. Thanks and nice review.
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

I've read a lot of interesting reviews about this story. The author seems extraordinarily intelligent, and I would love to read this book as soon as I get the chance. Thank you for the captivating review.
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I liked how your review highlighted the book's strongest features. I have already read this book, and I must say that I agree with you for the most part.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

Adanna Inya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 04:16 I read this book and loved it. Beautiful review.
It is an amazing read! I must commend the author for his openness and willingness to receive criticism, but in this case, I could not find anything to criticise! Thank you so much for your kind words and for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

azidy wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 05:20 This was an informative review without revealing too much of the plot. Good job! I'm glad you pointed out how the characters seemed unique and believable because I couldn't agree more.
I'm so glad that you found the characters as interesting as I did :D They all have such a unique personality to them. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

Slater678 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 05:21 Galen seems to being prepared for bigger things. Thanks and nice review.
Yup! I can just feel that he is destined for something more than the smithy business :D Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

Rashida10 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:47 I've read a lot of interesting reviews about this story. The author seems extraordinarily intelligent, and I would love to read this book as soon as I get the chance. Thank you for the captivating review.
I would highly recommend it. He does a brilliant job of bringing this fantasy world to life. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

So true, the characters and their interactions are really interesting in this book series :) Thanks for a great review!
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I agree with your appreciation for the beautiful imagery, wonderful description and effective characterization in the book. Excellent review!
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

aaurba wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 18:17 I liked how your review highlighted the book's strongest features. I have already read this book, and I must say that I agree with you for the most part.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it too :D Thank you for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 04:32 So true, the characters and their interactions are really interesting in this book series :) Thanks for a great review!
Indeed! Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
MeganDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by MeganDJ »

Wordlessly wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:02 I agree with your appreciation for the beautiful imagery, wonderful description and effective characterization in the book. Excellent review!
It really was a great read! Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”