Review by Deb Vil -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deb Vil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deb-vil.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Deb Vil -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Deb Vil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating a fantasy world is not easy. Author Matthew Tysz in his novel We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies introduces us to his universe where magic, science, and spirituality coexist. This is the first book of the We are Voulhire saga, where we dive into this universe, know its history and its rules.

One of the main characters is Galen, a young man who arrives at the booming nation of Voulhire to take over his recently deceased uncle’s forge. Galen is deeply thankful for the opportunity of leaving his home country, where war and suffering are everyday things. This is why he undertakes with big excitement the task of learning blacksmithing; in his path he learns with great fascination the way his new nation works and is anxious to adapt to his new life. It is through the innocent eyes of this young man that we know the thriving and benevolent side of Voulhire. Nevertheless, this nation is not perfect.

The author switches from points of view between different characters, each one with a different story. This way the reader discovers Voulhire more deeply, which from the surface might seem perfect but deep inside it has flaws no one wants to look at.

One of the things I enjoyed the most was the reflections the author makes through dialogs, thoughts, or situations about human nature. He cogitates about power, corruption, and spirituality among other thoughts concerning human life and behavior. Another thing I think deserves recognition is Tysz’s capability of creating a whole new complex and coherent universe. Throughout the book the reader gets to know the rules of this world along with its history and even its geography. It includes a map that illustrates this nation so the reader can get an idea of where the action is taking place. It is these little details that make the reader naturally immerse in this universe.

I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. It is a good novel that introduces us to a world I would like to know more about. I cannot think of something I didn’t like about this book. Maybe some wouldn’t like the pace it has but since it is the first book of a saga, it is understandable it focuses more on showing the reader this new world. Also, the edition is excellent.

It contains some profane words, a few sexual references, and some violence. I recommend this book to teenagers and adults who like fantasy. I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who wants to read a short novel with a big plot because, as I said before, it is the first book of a saga. The adventure is just beginning.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”