Review by D3R3ZZ3D -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Review by D3R3ZZ3D -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"And just as a superior nation can spill into an inferior nation for whatever reason it may, so too can one world invade the other. Magic itself, after all, is nothing if not an invasion of that universe into ours..." Lord Dalehei Meldorath.
We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz was SO much fun to read! It’s been a while since I read a book that kept me interested in the outcome of each of its characters. Most of the time, I only become invested in a particular character or a couple of characters, but not with this novel. All of the characters had such interesting storylines, names, and locations in which they lived. Although odd sounding at first, I soon found the names and places rolling off my tongue with familiarity. Matthew Tysz ability at bringing you to these places through his words, and feeling like you are a part of the events happening first hand, is radical!

The story opens with an empire on the brink of civil war, and I was expecting it to go in that same general direction throughout. However, we instead follow a young man named Galen, on his escape by ship from the war-torn land he grew up in, to a country of hope, mystery, and newfound freedom, the likes of which he has never known. Galen is traveling to the city of Magnum Caelum in the country of Voulhire, to claim an inheritance from a relative he has never met. Unexpected companions join him in his quest for destiny, but what are their motives for doing so?

Along the way, we learn of the wicked machinations of evil magicians; empathize with a troubled King; the actions of subjects loyal to the crown; others working for their selfish gains; the religious order within the land of Voulhire, along with its influences on the citizenry; as well as battles to overthrow the governing powers by an underprivileged group within their society.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed it as much as I did. I did not give it a lower score because I did not come across any noticeable editing issues, which leads me to believe the author was either very thorough or had it edited professionally. The thing I liked most about this book is the world-building that the author put into the story. I also appreciated the depth of each of the characters within it. What I liked least about the book, was the coarse language and humor, I came across throughout it. Otherwise, I found that it could be an enjoyable read for just about any audience with a willingness to let their imagination run free for a little while.

I encourage others to read We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, and personally look forward to reading his follow up book, We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko. I would suggest this book to just about anyone who likes adventure and has a good imagination. I would not suggest this book to people who prefer non-fiction, nor those who have an extreme sensitivity to coarse language and humor.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Losing My Virginity
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by shravsi »

you have captured the essence of the book completely. Thank God I stumbled upon this book accidentally, now I am on a reading spree traveling through Tysz's Voulhire.
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

Thank you. I concur 100 percent, I too am so looking forward to beginning the next book in this series!
:D
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I also agree, lets look forward for the next book in the series. This one was fire.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”