Review by Varsha22 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Varsha22
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Varsha22 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Varsha22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel full of imagination and suspense. The story starts with The Emperor of Lullabies, a wise and wicked ruler of a powerful nation. He has four sons each one vying for the throne. Each prince is given an island to rule which quickly leads to civil war. Our main protagonist Galen Bray is a resident of one of these islands, running towards a better future. He embarks on a journey to The Kingdom of Voulhire, hoping he can find it there.

This book contains interestingly diverse cultures, each one fighting to either survive or gather power. The book derives issues from the real world, which makes the anticipation for what’s to come that much more gripping. Issues like caste system, war, religion, social disparities, all are touched upon.

The authors imagination has given this book some memorable characters, which sink their teeth in and don’t let go. This book gives us multiple point of views from different characters. Even some of the minor characters always seem to play a role in the bigger picture. The moments of levity are cleverly imbued in the dialogue and provide a laugh unexpectedly, even in the trickiest situation. Every character has multiple layers. As the story progresses, it becomes clear, how brilliantly written and well thought out the characters are. Although every character is explored individually, the author creatively establishes connections, through objects and circumstances.

In the beginning, the different storylines may seem scattered, but with time it all comes together. Every aspect of the story, is interesting and colourful. The way different worlds are described always leave you wanting more. The story is sometimes confusing, especially when it starts but the writing style is simple and easy to understand.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I liked the characters and by the end I was so hooked, I immediately wanted to read the next book. Lucky, considering how the next five books in this series are already available. This book was a little hard to get into, but patience is a virtue I possess and that paid off. Fair warning has to be given for mentions of paedophilia, mind control and graphic violence. This book also contains some mild cussing. So, readers should keep this in mind before picking up the book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”