Review by lica20 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lica20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lica20.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by lica20 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by lica20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies starts with Galen Bray, the main character who arrives in The Kingdom of Voulhire escaped from the Lands of the Princes, which is a war-torn island by this time, decided to inherit his uncle’s wealth and a forge in a coastal city of Magnum Caelum. The Kingdom of Voulhire was supposed to be a land with a promising future for hard-working people with plenty of opportunities to escape from poverty and build a prosperous life.

This first book provides us an excellent introduction to the Voulhire world. I believe that Matthew Tysz did a great job, and the book has good potential for becoming a best-seller soon. As described by the author to be like Game of Thrones except with more magic, it indeed may catch the attention of all the fans of fictional stories, as I am going to explain more in this review.

What I liked the most was the way the writer describes the emotions of Galen when he arrives in Magnum Caelum. Galen is humble, kind, and has solid values. That is why it was enjoyable to read his adventures. I cannot wait for the second part as soon as I am done reviewing this one.

The story was written in the third person from the characters’ perspective, and sometimes from the first (Galen Bray). I only got a bit confused because some of the characters have very similar names. But, the book was well-edited, and I did not spot errors. The story involves mild sexual references, with no profanity. However, there were violence and murder scenes, so I would not recommend it for the sensitive public. Still, the narrative is suitable for teenagers, and all the magical scenarios are going to be intriguing to explore.

My first impression was that it would be a childish story, by the fact that the author starts the book with the phrase: "Once upon a time...", so I could not help but think in a Fairy Tale story. But after reading some chapters, I found myself very attached to the characters and had changed that perception. Which means, there was nothing I disliked about this book.

For the reasons listed before, I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I feel that the next installments in this series are going to be even more engaging and surprising. This suspense certainly helps to keep the readers interested to follow the releases. I strongly recommend it to fantasy novel lovers, as fans of The Lord of The Rings and Game of Thrones series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”