Review by Blue moon high -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blue moon high
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-moon-high.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Blue moon high -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Blue moon high »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In an uncertain time, an immigrant arrives at a powerful nation of Voulhire, unaware of the wonders and the monsters that dwell within it. All he knows is that he is grateful, and will do anything to repay his new home, notwithstanding the horrors he is walking himself into.

The kingdom of Voulhire has poised itself in a golden age. In matters of wealth, culture, and technology, it is the envy of a fast-changing world.
In these times of conventional prosperity, the people of Voulhire are struggling for national identity. Faith, science, and magic— each in their eager jealous way— offer the promise of a perfect world. Each offers an identity to those uncertain of their purpose.

But darkness lingers about the kingdom of Voulhire, this tiny continent adrift in an envious world, filled with powerful people who have plans of their own.

The first installment in the series of "We Are Voulhire" written by Matthew Tysz, part one edition named "A New Arrival under Great Skies", introduces the reader to a realm where both the natural and the supernatural worlds co-exist. In essence, this is a story about power and revenge.

The author has done a pretty clean job of creating an illusionary world, capturing the nuances of human dynamics in the medieval age. Nevertheless, the core human drama aptly carries its great relevance to our contemporary times. The story-line is fascinating and is filled with magic and complex characters showing both courage and vulnerability in equal measure. The characterization is flawless, and the plot is beautifully executed. The entire story, narrated in about two hundred pages sets the background for the upcoming series.

As a reader, I liked the way how each character becomes the torchbearer of the chapters, narrating the story! Besides, each chapter opens the door to a new twist and turn. Whatever we presume to happen next is thrown out of the window. The plot is not predictable and leaves the reader hanging at every word, and all the fervent imagination becoming colossal waste.

It is intriguing to see the way the story gets unfolded. However, I would have liked seeing more of strong female characters. The arrival of one mysterious but exciting new character halfway through the novel promises that it may indeed happen later in the series.

The language in the book is exceptionally flawless and appears to be professionally edited. The clear audience for this book is anyone enticed in medieval fantasies. I rate "We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies" with 4 out of 4 stars. The book is cheerful to read and is worth every second and a penny.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
anua24060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anua24060.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by anua24060 »

This is a great start for a good series. I was also disappointed there were no strong female characters in the book. I am currently on the fifth book and this series is good. Great review!
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

The plot really is very unpredictable. Thank you for the review!
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The we are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”